Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The minimum training needed to get a job

The minimum training needed to get a job

Hi to all,
    I have been looking to do freelance CAD. I have used AutoCAD 2013 with some example drawings, and seem to be quite good.
    I do realise I need to get a recognised qualification with autodesk. I have looked at some 3-day courses from Amarda and Cadline, one for £595 ex VAT and the other for about £495 ex vat. There is another course offered by Birmingham Metropolitan College. The most basic one they offer is Computer Aided Design, AutoCAD 2D (City and Guilds 7579-02) Level 2 for £475, but that one is over 43 weeks on a part-time evening basis.

My brother is willing to help me with these courses, but it seems to be confusing which one will be the best value for money/quckest way to employment.
    What would be the minimum spend?

Can someone give me some advice on this? I want to thank anybody in advance.

Regards,
    Nightcast2000

Never actually did a course just picked it up on the job; there again I had used various other CAD systems before AutoCAD.

To be honest Autocad is pretty easy to pick up the basics and there are plenty of FREE online tutorials to help; and of course there are forums like this where you can get specific help from people who use it daily.

If you prefer the formal training route and/or want a paper qualification then a google search will find plenty of course providers.

A quick search found these people offering 1-3 day courses who are based in Manchester but also do courses in Birmingham, (I assume that is what you are after as you mentioned B.M.C).
    http://www.tutorcad.co.uk/training-01.php

These also do AutoCAD training in Birmingham but don't give the prices on the website.
    http://www.cadcentreuk.com/autocad-training/

Good luck with the search and with the training.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

Hi there nukecad,
    I've looked at the links and found them useful thanks. I would agree I could pick it up pretty quickly.
    However I want to know how fast I could get employment in CAD? can I just do the minimum autocad 2D and look for work? or do I need further training higher than 2D to secure employment?

Regards,
    Nightcast2000

It all depends in what field you want to be working.

Lets face it being able to use a CAD programme is really not that much different in principle than being able to use a pencil and trysquare/setsquare.
    CAD is just a drawing tool that is then used in various industries.

e.g. Architecture, Groundwork Design, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, etc, etc.
    ALL need the use of CAD but you also need further training and qualifications in the particular field.

For example I am a Mechanical Engineering Designer and have experience and qualifications in Mechanical Engineering.
    Although I can (and sometimes do for friends) also draw up plans for house extensions for planning approval I would not call myself an Architect and would not apply for a job as one, I dont have the training in all the building regs. or a sufficent knowledge of the materials and methods in current use.
    I would not even attempt any electrical design or draughting.

Having said that we all have to start somewhere and there are jobs out there for CAD users who have no need for in depth knowledge of the design calculations etc. needed but just have to draw up what has been sketched out or marked up for them.
    Even back in the days before CAD we used to have "draughtsman tracers" who basically did the same thing, drew what they were told to without having any knowledge of the laws, rules, and regulations involved.

You should be thinking about which field you would like to work in and looking at online job sites for what is available in you area.
    You could try starting at the JobcentrePlus website for your area.
    https://jobsearch.direct.gov.uk/JobSearch/Browse.aspx
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

Hi Nuke Cad,
    I want to thank you for the information. I would agree and have looked into what sort of CAD I want to do. However, I would like to be as freelance as possible, and I'm more drawn to Building Architecture, and the drtafting of components, similar to what you do. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience in either of them fields. I used to be a labourer/general hand for 14 years, and for about a year off and on, I used to do computer roll-out work. I'm 46 atm...

I would certainly be interested in doing tracing work, as I would think that would be the best route into CAD work, and as my experience grows, I should be able to tackle harder jobs. What would you think? is it too late to learn?

It is never too late to learn. Heck, any good AutoCAD tech worth his/her salt needs to constantly learn if they want to be at the top of their game.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

As Kyle says its never too late to learn.
    And as the UK government keeps raising the retirement age then you have at least another 20 years of your working life to go, so plenty of time to learn a new trade.

For an insight into Building work take a look at the planning protal website:-
    http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/

In particular look at the 'Approved Documents' which give guidance on the rules for designing and constructing buildings in the UK.
    You can read these online for FREE at any time by clicking on "Free to Download", but it costs to actually download and save them.
    I use these when doing layouts for planning permission.
    http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/bui...oveddocuments/
    http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/bui...parth/approved

Hi Nuke Cad,
    I got a bit delayed in replying. I've looked at the links and they look interesting. I want to thank you for the encouragement you and Kyle Reese have given me in pursuing this.

Regards,
    Nightcast2000

Quote Originally Posted by nigthcast2000 View Post
    I would agree and have looked into what sort of CAD I want to do. However, I would like to be as freelance as possible, and I'm more drawn to Building Architecture, and the drtafting of components, similar to what you do.
    If you want to get into the architectural, engineering and construction markets (better known as A/E/C), then you'll have to drop AutoCAD and pick up the Revit platform. AutoCAD is 30+ years old and is being phased out at a rather fast rate as the design platform of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by nigthcast2000 View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't have any experience in either of them fields.
    Not to sound too discouraging but this could be the biggest issue. If you're just getting started in being trained in the fundamentals, and have zero experience in the field you wish to design in, then that's two big strikes against you. If you have a good amount of strength in either one of these two specific skills then learning the other is usually quite easy.

The reason I tell you this information is because I do a lot of freelance work... a lot. More than my wife wishes I did that's for sure, haha. As a freelancer, the people and company's who hire you can't hold your hand through it all, they really are looking for someone to push the work to and hit the ground running, with few Q&A's from time to time.

I come from a mechanical HVAC, piping, plumbing and electrical background and I have to make a lot of decisions on my own, which the few clients that give me lots of recurring business is very grateful of. Make no mistake, this is not me discouraging at all - just some words of wisdom since I know how the freelancing market goes in the design world. People ask right away "what's your experience in this line of work". Just be ready for that is all.

Hope this helps. -Tannar

Hi there stykface,
    I want to thank you for the advice. That does sound a bit disheartening. I could concentrate more on Revit. The reason why chose freelance was because I thought that would be the fastest way of getting some experience In the general field of drafting, not all out designing. I have thought that I would probably would find it very hard to find a company to hire me with my age and virtually no experience. Although I don't want to do design parse', I would be happy enough to do drafting. I understand that one needs some design skills, but I don't really want to go all the way into design.

Regards,
    Nightcast2000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast