Thread: "Save as" option doesn´t open a browser window anymore. Please help

"Save as" option doesn´t open a browser window anymore. Please help

Hi
    I don´t know how it happend and I don´t know how to fix it, but my Autocad 2008 can´t do the "save as" options as it did before anymore.
    Normally I go on
    FILE
    -> SAVE AS and then a window apperas where I can choose the path and the name where to save the drawing.
    That window doens´t show up anymore.
    Instead I get lika a table from which I can choose the file format and after pressing enter I get a text row with a suggested path I could edit.
    How do I get back to the normal window for saving files?
    Please help. I can´t really work like this and it´s very confusing.

It is a "dialog box" not a "browser window".

Try setting the system variable FILEDIA to a value of "1" and see what happens.

You can do this at the command line though I suppose you already know that right?
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

Thank you so much!!! It seems to work :-)

Oh, while I'm thinking about it; have you Ever heard of a pc that would Not allow you to perform Disk Cleanup Unless you had internet service??? When I take my laptop home, if I'm not within wireless range, it will Not perform cleanup, (which, unless I've missed something
    'new'), has Nothing to do with the 'net!
    I generally try to run maintenance regularly on my pc's, but cannot do this offline... have I missed something?? That just sounds crazy to me!
    Thanks again, & have a great day!

Actually I'm not great at setting the system variables, to be honest... can you give me some pointers please?

Usually, I see the "Not Responding" note up by the top toolbar area, like Every time I go to save...
    and sometimes it Not Responds for so long that it either crashes or I get frustrated & reboot the pc.
    Arggghhh...

It sounds like your computer is seriously messed up. Who set it up in the first place?

System variables can be set at the command line or via a custom lisp routine.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

Did you ever run a scan of some kind while on the Internet? Maybe you took advantage of a free scan?

Our cooperate headquarters either sent it or ordered it (this laptop); it's supposed to be new, from what I understand,
    I was thinking the same thing, but it was doing this for a long time on my desktop, but the desktop was worse. That's what
    really confuses me about this whole thing; it's behaving in the same manner as the old (desktop) pc. (Ackk! lol)
    Yes, I have run the free Malware bytes scan on both pc's, everything looks fine.

Did you bring anything over from your desktop to the laptop? Programs? Custom lisp routines? Other? Did you migrate any features from your previous version of ACAD to the new version like Toolbars, or the CUI?

What are the full specs on your laptop? Does it have an onboard graphics chip or a dedicated graphics card?

What version of Windows are you running?

What programs are loaded on the laptop?

What antivirus program is used?

Do you have admin rights?

Do you normally connect to a network when working or do you work "offline"?

Did you kill off the CommCenter? Also called the InfoCenter?

Do you know if hardware acceleration is enabled?