Thread: Transitioning from MicroStation to Autocad - Advice?

Transitioning from MicroStation to Autocad - Advice?

My company is a small specialty design build company and we have used MicroStation for 14 years because our lead process mechanical designer was from a company that used MicroStation. It served us well as we were able to do 3D models and fly throughs, which worked well for clients, 14 years ago. Things have changed, our designer is gone and I am looking to outsource our cadd work. There are a lot more folks out there who do Autocad than MicroStation, including all my young engineers.

So I am trying to decide if we should change platforms and if so, how much will it cost and how much of our old designs will we lose if we switch? Will my 3D fabrication drawings become useless, or is there some way to convert Microstation models into AutoCad without losing the ability to edit model? I know we have had issues pulling vendor models done in AutoCad into our Microstation models, but has anyone had any experience going the other way? Do I end up with a cartoon, or is there a way to retain the model as a usable model?

Plain AutoCAD or one of the vertical products like AutoCAD MEP?

AutoDesk products are not cheap. Could run you several thousand dollars.

How many seats?
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

We would need the MEP and probably some version of the structural model. We do water and wastewater treatment plants. Internally I would think only one seat, as our goal is to outsource and only have one person here managing the files and jobshoppers.

I know each extra will be another $1000 or so, but if we can avoid adding staff and have access to more resources, that is not the issue. The issue is, do we lose all our functionality with our plant models?

All I know is that Microstation DGN files can be imported into AutoCAD. After that I am clueless.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer1960 View Post
    The issue is, do we lose all our functionality with our plant models?
    Most likely, yes, you will lose your functionality. Any time you take a model that was created in program "A" and import it into program "B", any functionality that was present in program "A" will be stripped out when it enters program "B". A good way to test would be to upload one of your models here and let someone import it into Autocad and see what they get. I don't use Autocad anymore, so I can't really offer any more advice than that.
    Last edited by Cad64; 29-08-2012 at 01:29 AM.
    One of these days I gotta get myself organizized

My Online Portfolio ( Updated 08/06/2012 ): www.rdeweese.com