Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
help pls... how do you make a 3d mesh a solid object?

Thread: help pls... how do you make a 3d mesh a solid object?

help pls... how do you make a 3d mesh a solid object?

Hi. I'm Burt, an architecture student. I am designing a "hemi-teardrop" shaped building. I know that it can be done using revolve , but the problem is... It has a pointed top (see the top view in the left-center viewport). As you can see, I tried using edgesurf... but that didn't work out either, because I have objects (2 doors and 2 windows) to attach and I can't use subtract and/or union with the mesh.

Maybe any of you knows how to make a solid object from a 3d mesh...

By the way, this is one of the buildings in my thesis... which I should pass before February 18...

...I really hope to hear from you...

[/img]

I've heard that some success has been had from using a lisp routine that converts mesh to solid. I don't have the link handy. Do a search for "m2s.lsp".

Ok, got it. Will be trying it later. Thanks much CarLB!

P.S.: If anyone has a better idea, pls just post it here. Thanks!

hmm... I just came home from class... and I realized... I don't know how to use lisps...

well... i know how to load them... and i did just that a while ago with the m2s.lsp... but it just said "m2s.lsp loaded"... i don't know what to do next. Pardon me for being soooo ignorant, but i really have to ask:

how do you use lisps??? :?

I know the answer could be somewhere around here in the forums... but i can't seem to find em... so pls point me to it or something... so sorry. :wink:

without seeing the Lisp, at a guess, I'd say after you've loaded it try typing M2S and see what that does.

If it's in plain Lisp format, you can aslo open it in either the vlide or any text editor, such as Notepad. Somewhere around the top of th Lisp you should see a line which begins:
    (Defun C:something....

whatever is immediately after the colon is the command name

GOT IT WORKING!!! THANKS A LOT!!!

i cudnt believe i just needed to type "m2s"... what a loser, hahaha :lol:

...i guess i was too desperate to take the time to try things.

------------------------

I appreciate the quick and unreprimanding help you guys give! This forum rocks! I'm learning a lot and am now sharing my knowledge with my friends and classmates... even my professors were impressed!

long live and more power to cadeverything.com!!!