Thread: Text outline, eclispe polyline question

Text outline, eclispe polyline question

I have 3 questions:

1) Sometimes I have to outline text or make text that is hollow inside for logos. Does anybody know how to go about this? I dont mean solid text I mean text with out line.

2) I had made some circles with eclispes but needed to border them with some other objects. I could not join the trimmed eclispe to make a polyline. Is this possible?

3) I have dimensioned an object and the dimension is showing up in a vertical position, I forgot how to change the text to horizontal and couldnt find the option.

Thanks for any help!

1) Use an outline font type - take a look at some of these http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...s&as_q=autocad

2) Dont think that you can convert an elipse to a polyline, circles and arcs you can.

3) DIMTOH controls dimension text alignment (0= Aligned with dimension line, 1= Horizontal). You would normally set this in you dimension style manager on the 'Text' tab.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

Raider94,

For logos etc I would trace the letters, because the other users do not have unusual textstyles. They would get ????.

You can save the file as R12.dxf and import it as a block.
    OR change the variable PELLIPSE and redraw the ellipse.

Lothar
    WIN XP, ADT 2004

The default for PELLIPSE is 0. Change it to 1. Then you'll be able to join segments of ellipses with lines and arcs.

There are literally hundreds of AutoCAD style font files available. Some appear only as outlines. I use one called Helvo. It is a sans serif font based on the typeface called Helvetica. If you want a copy let me know.

All dimension variables can be accessed in your DimStyle (Dimension Style Manager) or via the command line. There aren't alot of users that can recall the name of each variable so I suggest making the changes in Dimstyle.

Thanks guys I had forgotten pellipse, its something I never have a use for.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

thanks for the post and help. So your saying default autocad has no outline option?

Can I get a link to that font download? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Raider94 View Post
    Can I get a link to that font download? Thanks!
    If you mean the one in my post above then its there in the post; point at it and it will change colour then just click on it.

If you mean Kyles Helvo font then try searching google for 'helvo.shx'.

Further to Exxits answer about tracing the font, if you have Express Tools loaded you can use the command TEXTEXP to explod a font down to lines and curves.

If you are requesting the font I mentioned you'll have to PM me with your email address.