Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: properties dialog blank..not a pickfirst problem

Exclamation properties dialog blank..not a pickfirst problem

I am running acad2000, and my properties dialog is blank. Pickfirst is set to 1, and I have completely un-installed, cleaned, and reloaded acad2000 from the CD. When I start autocad i can select properties on a entity (a circle for instance) 1 time, and the properties editor looks normal. If I set the layer to another layer of a different color the object does not take on the new color, and additionally the next time I pick it, the properties dialog is blank. Before re-installing i also tried the opmfix, sp1, and sp2, all of which did nothing. Any ideas?
    cmoses

Quote Originally Posted by cmoses View Post
    ....... If I set the layer to another layer of a different color the object does not take on the new color..... cmoses
    Is the objects colour set to BYLAYER?

Sorry dont know about the properties box problem.

Yes to start with, but my point was that the change of color from "by-layer" to another color does not happen, as if the property manager was somehow disconnected from the main application. I have ACAD2000 on my backup pc, it does not exhibit this problem.
    cm

properties blank problem solved

OK solved it
    It wasnt the install
    it wasnt the use of cclean
    it wasnt opmfix, or pickfirst, or any other autocad variable, or any thing else on any cad website any where for this problem...what was it???
    The system path varible was too long.
    I will bet that this issue is with ALL autocad versions

I definately feel like hoisting a cold guinness on this one!

cmoses

Must have been a very long pathname.

Some of our drawing project directories have pathnames over 150 characters long and we dont have any problems with them.
    (except remembering the fill names. LOL)
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

It was a very long path. I do a broad variety of engineering design and project management tasks, and I use about every CAE and CAD program out there. Windows doesnt help with names like "Program Files" which needlessly consume characters, so its pretty easy to get to 600+ characters over 3 or 4 years. Setting variables dont help because windows expands them to the full name.
    The best advice I could give to someone who runs as broad spectrum of tools that I do is to start fresh and dont except windows defaults, instead of "Program Files" contract it to "Prgfile", its used multiple times so that alone would probably have set me right for another 2 years, by then my computer would have died anyway.
    cm

Yes; 600+ is a long pathname.
    I just checked the drawing I'm currently working on and its pathname is 222 characters long.

As you note it is mainly because of long directory names such as '...\Latest Steam Drawings\Low Pressure Hot Water\...'
    I put it down to younger users who have never have to struggle with limits on the length of pathnames and filenames like we had to in the past.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

Check your "Path" enviroment variable. Whenever you call for another module (such as the Object Property Manager) thats where the search takes place. I think you will be surprised at the length, unless your machine is single-purpose.
    ACAD modules have been written down through the years and no one at the time of their writing probably thought they would see paths the lengths we have today. I run a old ACAD (2000) so its probably even worse for me. Modern code writing uses the registry to store program-specific search paths. However most older CAE/CAD code writers have a distaste for microsoft foundation class libraries, so they tend to do things the "old" way, which I can identify with.
    cm

Missing Object properties

Thank you cmoses:!
    My first thought was a too long path so I copied my ACAD file to an area with a shorter path length. It never occured to me that the SYSTEM PATH was the issue.

I spent several hours on this and tried all the other suggestions.

Thank you for identifying this!!!
    My path was 817 characters long. I reduced it and now the ACAD2000 properties works once again.

I figure that cmoses may no longer be checking this site but I wanted to follow up for any others that might experience this problem and say thanks again to cmoses.

I had been wondering what had changed to have caused this issue when ACAD had been working fine a few weeks earlier. I see now that I had installed a new program in the past two weeks and that must have taken the path limit over the edge. I am guessing that would be near my path length of 817 - 52 (the last entry for the new program added) =~ over 765 characters.

What is most strange is that I did not see any entry in the system path that I thought was associated with ACAD yet ACAD pukes on it.

Many thanks once again to you cmoses, I hoisted a cold guinness in your name last night!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast