Thread: changing the 1000's of TEXT on the existing drawing

changing the 1000's of TEXT on the existing drawing

I have around 40 Drawings and each drawing has round 30 instruments. Each instrument has a TAG(text name) (eg TI 1001, PT 0403). However our CAD drafters have put the tags as text and not as attributes. Now the client wants us to change the format in with the tags are (eg 1210TI 101A, 1329PT 205). Is it possible to generate a EXCELL spreadsheet from AUTOCAD---change the tags to new format ---import it back into AUTOCAD so that the names can automatically be changed.
    I would appreciate if anyone can give some inputs.

changing the 1000's of TEXT on the existing drawing

I have around 40 Drawings and each drawing has round 30 instruments. Each instrument has a TAG(text name) (eg TI 1001, PT 0403). However our CAD drafters have put the tags as text and not as attributes. Now the client wants us to change the format in with the tags are (eg 1210TI 101A, 1329PT 205). Is it possible to generate a EXCELL spreadsheet from AUTOCAD---change the tags to new format ---import it back into AUTOCAD so that the names can automatically be changed.
    I would appreciate if anyone can give some inputs.

Yes it's possible, as are most all things

I see you double-posted here and at Cadtutor.

A pretty simple routine could write all selected text to a text file, the contents of which could be easily pasted into an excel file.

Another lisp could read a file (or read command line input, which could be pasted from a file), and for each string replace all instances of it in the drawing with another string. It all strings are "text" objects then this would be pretty simple.

I have merged your two threads into this one. There is no need to double post. Just post your question in the appropriate forum and wait for responses. Your question will be seen and answered if possible.

It looks like Carl is already on the case.
    One of these days I gotta get myself organizized

My Online Portfolio ( Updated 08/06/2012 ): www.rdeweese.com

So are you asking to replace text that reads AT101 to now read 101AT?

Is there a relationship between the old text and what you want to replace it with?