Thread: Tough Question - Layer Locking (Make Layer Visible But No Pick)

Tough Question - Layer Locking (Make Layer Visible But No Pick)

AutoCAD 2008

Tough Question - Layer Locking (Make Layer Visible But No Pick)

1.) As of now if I lock a layer, the objects cannot be moved or edited, but autocad still highlights them when the objects on this locked layer are selected. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a layer lock setting that would allow you to lock a layer but no be able to select it. For example I have a site plan xref in the background and I am drawing on top of it. Every time I try to work on top of this xref I end up selecting the background as well which causes the system to slow down because it is selecting the entire xref background. I want to be able to lock layer the xref is on and not be able to select it in my drawing.

Thank You

I was just talking to a co-worker about this issue a few days ago.
    The only option I can offer is for you to put your Xref on the Defpoints layer and then Freeze layer 0. this will make everything on the Defpoints layer unselectable.
    One of these days I gotta get myself organizized

My Online Portfolio ( Updated 08/06/2012 ): www.rdeweese.com

I know I am bumping an old post but...

Can anyone enlighten me on why this works? What is the relation between the 0 and Defpoints layer that cause it to react this way?

This should answer your question re: Defpoints.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112

Not really :(

I know what the Defpoints layer was originally purposed for. I'm more curious about why it interacts the way it does with the 0 layer. Why, does freezing the 0 layer cause items on the Defpoints layer to become unselectable. Is this an intended feature or an accident? If by accident I find it quite helpful for tracing and wish a locked layer responded in the same fashion.

Say I have an image file I've attached to my drawing as an ole object that I am trying to trace. I put it on its' own layer and send it to the back, lock the layer down and go to start drawing over it. Everytime I click on the image it selects it making me have to unselect also making the marquee tool for selecting entities completely useless.

Attaching the same image as a raster image via the imageattach command makes it much better as you can't select it by clicking within the image but the issue still presents itself near the edges.

However if I take the image and put it on the Defpoints layer and switch to the layer I want to draw on (leaving the image on defpoints) then freeze the 0 layer, then items on the Defpoints layer can't be selected at all. Defpoints isn't locked or anything, just nothing can be selected anymore. To confuse the situation further, if you regen the drawing while the 0 layer is frozen, the images that were attached on the Defpoints layer dissapear from the drawing.

I do appreciate your response, if I have confused you please let me know! I'd be interested if you can recreate what I'm encountering. More specifically if it can be recreated in 2010. We are using 08 right now and are slated for an upgrade to 2010 early next year.

I'll have to reread your post when I'm at my CAD computer and try to re-create your problem.

It has never been a problem for me and I've been using AutoCAD for quite a while.

That's right freezing 0 layer makes depoints untouchable.......that was a real nuisance until I found that out.