Thread: Tips for Sending Drawings to a FAB SHOP

Tips for Sending Drawings to a FAB SHOP

IN the Vain of Architech's thread on "TIPS FOR THE YOUNG ONES IN ARCHITECTURE " I thought I might start a thread for anyone who works in or has exposure to Fab Shop, to share tips or experiences. Since I work in Smaller shops I may be a little Skewed, or set in my ways. Like my best advice to anyone Especially Architects would be :

1.) Include all Relevant Dimensions in a Drawing.
    I can only Speak for my little Microcosm, But while our shop Monkeys are the most talented Fabricators you could ask for, But They ain't too bright!!!! So You Really don't want them BLINDLY Guesstamateing at dimensions! Plus the more math they have to do, the more it costs you in time.

2.) if you're in America send them Measurements in INCHES!
    if We got to convert MICKY METERS you're looking at Art Charges of at least redrawing time x4 ,ALSO see #1.

3.) If your drawings are going to a CNC (plasma, Water Jet, Laser, ect....) PLEASE Draw 1:1
    When I have to redraw something because some one drew it in some scale I CHARGE THEM!

4.) Please don't ccall me every 2 hours to see if your job got done early
    More you Hassle me more I charge you for it!

5.) Don't, DO NOT ever ask to Barrow my tools.
    I don't care if you have to leave your car in my lot or call a tow truck! I make my living with my tools DON'T you DARE ask to Barrow them!

6. ) no Matter what Fance school you went to, You are NOT better then or know better than the guy at the fab shop you're hireing to do the job!!!!!!!
    if you don't trust the shop your hiring to do the work then WHY go there find some one you do trust, all Criticizing the Shop Monkeys does assure you of you jobs being done last and with out care! How well A Fab shop takes care of you is directly Related to your attitude

ANu one else want to jump in ?

architech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Plotter Guy View Post
    .... Please don't ccall me every 2 hours to see if your job got done early
    More you Hassle me more I charge you for it!

5.) Don't, DO NOT ever ask to Barrow my tools.
    I don't care if you have to leave your car in my lot or call a tow truck! I make my living with my tools DON'T you DARE ask to Barrow them!

6. ) no Matter what Fance school you went to, You are NOT better then or know better than the guy at the fab shop you're hireing to do the job!!!!!!!
    LOL

Archi
    Funny story about the tool thing, there was this Engineer that we do work, and one day his car won't start so He asks my Dumb as F*&^ sister to barrow a screwdriver, and so she goes out to the shop and takes a screwdriver out of somebody's tool box and lones it to him. SO a little while passes and DUMMY sends a couple of guys out to see if they can help him out, he's a good customer after all. any how they find him useing a $1.35 Pr. Vice Grips to loosen the battery clamp and a $65 Snap On Screwdriver to pry the clamps open. Long story short My tool box stays locked 24/7 and my Gertzner Machinist Box now lives in a LOCKED Cage!
    and the bit about Don't call every 2 hours was because last Wednesday I had this land scape guy calling me every 2 hours about Light covers he was promised on the next Monday

Although upon Reflection I should be Grateful My sister is so dumb, Mom and Dad must have known by the time she was six, and thought "we got to try again the first one ain't worth $417", if she had turned out better I might not be here!

architech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Plotter Guy View Post
    Archi
    Funny story about the tool thing, there was this Engineer that we do work, and one day his car won't start so He asks my Dumb as F*&^ sister to barrow a screwdriver, and so she goes out to the shop and takes a screwdriver out of somebody's tool box and lones it to him. SO a little while passes and DUMMY sends a couple of guys out to see if they can help him out, he's a good customer after all. any how they find him useing a $1.35 Pr. Vice Grips to loosen the battery clamp and a $65 Snap On Screwdriver to pry the clamps open. Long story short My tool box stays locked 24/7 and my Gertzner Machinist Box now lives in a LOCKED Cage!
    and the bit about Don't call every 2 hours was because last Wednesday I had this land scape guy calling me every 2 hours about Light covers he was promised on the next Monday

Although upon Reflection I should be Grateful My sister is so dumb, Mom and Dad must have known by the time she was six, and thought "we got to try again the first one ain't worth $417", if she had turned out better I might not be here!

Poor girl ... her ear's must be ringing...

And here i thought i was rough with my sister..

Yea But she deserves it, Like I have to make a Royal COMMAND Appearance @ the folks house Sunday, never mind I was going out to Ceder Creek Lake to go to the boat races, it's all I made your plans for you and YOU ARE GOING TO COME to dinner. she's been a pain in my .......... all mt life !!!