Thread: Anyone else using a Pen Plotter?

Anyone else using a Pen Plotter?

I've Posted about my current Folly in another part of the forum, But here is my story anyway. About a month ago I got the idea to hack together a vinyl cutter out of an old plotter to make Paint masks and Custom (Drafting) Inking templates. I ended up getting 3 of them off epay two 7475s and one 7470. since receiving them I got obcessed with finding liquid ink Rapediograph pens. Sadly There are none to be had anymore, nothing 2-3 days bent over a small Lathe couldn't fix using some extra Koh-i-noor pens and some HP fiber tip pens, I was able to make 12 plotter pens out of 15 Koh-i-noor pens, and they work Great. and on the upside the ink is about 1/4 the cost of plotting with my HP Design Jet 600. What I'm trying hard to do is to approximate the look of pen and ink board drawings on vellum from autocad. I'm getting to old to Leroy!my Questions are

1) in Acad 2k How do I assign a layer to a pen or a pen to a layer ? I got it working by changing the CBT file on the 7475 but on the 2 pen 7470 I can't get it to work

2) when I plot text the plotter outlines text. how do I make Single stroke type text ?

3) what font best imitates Leroy ?

I'd love to hear any other Pen Plotter Tips, ideas or projects from you guys

Hi

1 - changing ctb should work, check for an updated plotter driver on HP website.

2 - see thread -
    http://www.cadeverything.com/help/sh...llow#post12392

3 - Never heard of it.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

[QUOTE=NukeCad;12536]
    1 - changing ctb should work, check for an updated plotter driver on HP website.
    HP doesn't support any of the pen plotters any more HP,Autodesk, and Micro$h17have deamed in their infinte wisdom that no one should use pen plotters.So I have to use a Roland Driver for XP and Vista

Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

@NukeCad did you manage? Have you tried an existing vinyl cutter?

I'm looking for an electric cutter for some time now and can't make up my mind.

I mean I was looking through the net and read a bunch of reviews and didn't get smarter. It's like those reviews were written by people who have only read about the cutters.

I came across a different blog. The blogger is criticizing the brands. Maybe it's too much for my taste. Anyways I've read this vinyl cutter review and got me thinking. More like I have a bunch of questions.

Which one would you pick? Do I really need to spend big bucks to get a decent machine?

Any input is highly appreciated

Hi Danny,

This thread is 11 years old, and the guy who was originally asking the question hasn't been on the forum since 2010.

I myself haven't worked since 2011, fo rhealth reasons, so no longer use Autocad much. (Maybe once or twice a year).
    I still pop in here to moderate, but it's mostly just keeping an eye on and removing spam.

I would try asking over at Cadtutor; they have a very diverse userbase including users who do use vinyl cutting equipment:
    https://www.cadtutor.net/forum/

EDIT- My apologies, I hadn't noticed that your thread had been put into moderation and wasn't visible to other users.
    (It will have been put in moderation because of having a weblink in a first time post).
    As a moderator I can see them all anyway, and as the original poster you would be able to as well, but nobody else could.
    I've approved it now so everyone can see it.
    Last edited by NukeCad; 27-11-2019 at 12:41 PM.