Thread: Best process to get picture-like Autocad Architecture renderings?

Question Best process to get picture-like Autocad Architecture renderings?

I have just started creating 3D architectural models in Autocad Architecture. I find that I spend alot of time on materials and lighting to get the renderings within ACA to look their best. They still are not like the examples I see online, etc. I have read that rendering in 3DS Max is the way to go. However, how far do I go in ACA before I am wasting time? What I mean is how much do I assign to the objects in ACA to get them ready for 3DS Max or another strictly 3D program?

You can import dwg's into Max at any stage of development. If you are comfortable modeling in Acad, you can complete your model there and then import to Max for materials and rendering. Although Max is a far superior modeling application. I don't use Autocad for 3D anymore.
    One of these days I gotta get myself organizized

My Online Portfolio ( Updated 08/06/2012 ): www.rdeweese.com

architech Guest
    Like ''CAD64'' said.. you can cont. as far as you want... but doing the 3D model and then applying materials in ''Max"' seems to be the better option...

You may want to look nto ''sketchup''...
    if you're only doing quick massing models...
    Just a thought

I am wanting to get proficient enough to do full construction documents with a 3D residential structure model. With that in mind, ACA is easier with the door, windows, walls, etc. already set up. I want to work with Revit but my company has ACA. We have just started to offer models and the company likes to show renderings. This is why I have pushed harder to learn 3D lately. My concern is to not waste time going the wrong direction. I'm I on the right track?