Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PlotDwgs, a plot utility program

My apologies. You have the version that I customized for my job. Download the revised version from AutoLISP Exchange, or just comment out all of the functions beginning with (SSP-Program-#). There are 5 of them. You have a good version, just strip out all of the SSP stuff.
    Here is the website again:
    http://web2.airmail.net/terrycad

P.S. I wish AutoCAD Everything would add the option of LSP as one of the attachment extensions that you can attach to your post, as this one is very long to paste into a thread. Otherwise I would just attach the file here.

Regards,
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Cadd View Post
    My apologies. You have the version that I customized for my job. Download the revised version from AutoLISP Exchange, or just comment out all of the functions beginning with (SSP-Program-#). There are 5 of them. You have a good version, just strip out all of the SSP stuff.
    Here is the website again:
    http://web2.airmail.net/terrycad

P.S. I wish AutoCAD Everything would add the option of LSP as one of the attachment extensions that you can attach to your post, as this one is very long to paste into a thread. Otherwise I would just attach the file here.

Regards,
    Terry
    Terry - That is a great routine. I like how you have it broken up into different department. I am very happy with it. It is very handy and is a time saver.

There's one little thing that kinda bugs me when plotting Folder of Drawings.... when you get to the Plot Folder of Drawings dialog box with a bunch of drawings to select which ones to plot. Scroll down the list of drawings a little and then select a drawing that is near the bottom of that screen (don't select the bottom drawing from the list), the list automatically moves so that the selected file is shown on the bottom of the screen. Now if I want to select the next drawing down from my previous selection, I would have to scroll down and select. Again, the last selection would move to the bottom of the screen. Hopefully that is understandable. A little hard to describe.

What I also like is that Browse/Search dialog box. Is it possible to pull this dialog box out of this routine and use it as a DWG viewer with larger thumbnails? I have a library with quite a few CAD details. It would be great to have a utility like this to browse through the library.

Vince,
    You are relating to the multi-select list feature of selecting drawings in a folder to plot. I agree with your comment 100%. I mentioned in a response in another forum that I wish there was a programming fix for this. It may be the method that I am using to refresh the multi-select list as the user selects and un-selects over 30 drawings. I am certainly open to suggestions if anyone has found a better way to handle this.

Per your second suggestion: I love the idea of being able to view many drawings in one dialog. The Blk-Lib, block library program, that I wrote creates slides of blocks and displays 20 at a time. But I think you’re thinking about an ARX type function that does this automatically. That would be very cool. A friend here at works wants me to mention that Windows Explorer sort of does that, if you have the view files option set to Thumbnails, but the background is white not black.

Terry

Terry,
    I have tried with Windows Explorer with thumbnails before. The thumbnails are just too small and with a white background as you mentioned is hard to see. It would be nice to have a keyword search function to help browse through a list of details faster.

As for the PlotDwgs routine, where do I set the plot scale? Depending on which plotter I use, the plot scale can either be "Fit to paper" or "1:1" or other scales if in model space.

Thanks

The option of plotting to a certain scale can be included with the existing program. On the first dialog you can add a label for “Plot scale” with a drop-down list of “Fit to paper, Custom, 1:1, 1:2, etc.” this variable would be used to substitute the “F” for fit, in the function named PlotLayout. We decided to use Fit instead of scale. Fit always works for our clients’ drawings, that all have slightly different border sizes. We do Structural and Mechanical drawings, and this seems to work well for the Engineers and for shop drawings. I realize that Architectural layouts normally are plotted to scale for obvious reasons. This version of PlotDwgs does not offer that option, but I feel it could easily be incorporated.

Terry

REL 14....not working

I guess it will not work in release 14? I've been trying, but I'm getting "unknown command" after typing in "PD" or "plotdwgs".

dconley,
    Type this on the command line and see if it gives you that error. I think this may be the problem. This is new with AutoCAD 2000+
    (getvar "CTAB")

I have been playing around trying to add plot scale as one of the user's options all morning without any luck. Not an easy thing to try to figure out, especially when I'm still new to lisp, and haven't played with dcl at all. I think I have managed to screwed up the settings or variables that nothing is working for me now Somehow I even screwed up my backup. Back to the old drawing board.

I feel for you man. I know how frustrating it was for me when I first started getting into dialogs.

I recently helped someone configure PlotDwgs for AutoCAD 2008. All that I requested from him was to plot two or three successful dialog plots followed by the command line version of the -PLOT command of the different sizes he uses. From that -PLOT text screen information I was able to email him the necessary configuration changes.

The most common problems that new users are having, is that they see a single slash "\" in the -PLOT text screen data, and they need to remember that AutoLISP needs to have double slashes "\\" for each single slash "\" that they see in the -PLOT text screen data.

I'd be glad to help you configure your settings for PlotDwgs. As mentioned above, all that I need is two or three successful dialog plots followed by the command line versions of the -PLOT command of the different sizes.

Regards,
    Terry

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast