Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drafting Etiquette: What's your favorite?

Could you file this under; "Dumb little things that make me angry but shouldn't."

Small frequently used Blocks that have embedded entities with forced colors, linetypes and any layer other 0.

When I find a block with forced colors and lintypes I think "The person that made this is:
    A) Inexperienced and needs some serious training
    B) must have had a very specific reason to do this and I should ask around
    C) May have had a serious brain injury

When I find a block with entities on anything other than Layer Zero I think "The person that did this is:
    A) A lazy #$!^@
    B) in need of a serious brain injury!

We have a guy that draws on layer 0 & text....I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by VERYCIVILDRAFTER View Post
    When I find a block with entities on anything other than Layer Zero I think "The person that did this is:
    A) A lazy #$!^@
    B) in need of a serious brain injury!

Forgive me but;

In all the official AutoCAD manuals and literature that I have ever read, it clearly states that layer Zero (and defpoints) should NOT be used for drawing / dimensions / text / etc. and only by AutoCAD itself.

Has this changed with later revisions??
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

Layer zero is actually really handy when used as the one and only layer in an small uncomplicated block.

Doing so can prevent confusion with multiple copies of a block and then grouped (organized) by various layers. Like separating a pile of M&M's by color. (The M&M's being blocks and the color being a drawing layer)

When dozens of different blocks are inserted into a drawing having their base layer as Zero avoids excess layers being added to a drawing.

My Favorites

• Circular referencing within Xrefs
    • Random layers and Layer Names
    • Titleblock or border in Model Space
    • Exploded Hatchs
    • Corrupting Drawings by copying from one drawing to the net to the next to the next and so on
    • north arrow pointing down the page
    • Unlocked Viewports
    • leaders "Doubling Back" on themselves instead of changing which end of the text the leader comes out of or shifting the text
    • drafters plotting and throwing plans back to me without "looking" over them
    • Users not opening read only when just "Checking which layer that line was in"
    • Rotated & Scaled Xrefs

That is my little whinge. along with users not "Maintaining" Drawings and then whinging about corruptions caused by that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12