Thread: Wierd effects by printing to PDF

Exclamation Wierd effects by printing to PDF

Hello gang, I'm looking for a solution about a bad issue by printing a new logo at work.

We today received a new logo to apply to every new documents including CAD drawings. I put this new logo on a sheet to trace it with line, which I merged in region, than fill with hatch founction. I finish by creating a block with logo. The final result in CAD is perfect for me. My problem in by printing it in PDF. There are many lines appearing into the logo. I took screen to show you the result. What's wrong on my process to have this final result? I guess it's totally possible to have a perfect an uniform color at the end?

CAD:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Logo CAD.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	1320

In PDF:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Logo défaut.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	1321

Please help!
    Maxime

How are you printing to PDF?

I've always found that Autocad's own PDF creation gives missing lines like that (or extended lines) with fills and solid hatches.

For years now I have used a free little utility called 'CutePDF Writer' instead, and it gives much better results.

It installs as a printer, when you want to plot as a PDF you just print as normal and select CutePDF as the printer, it asks you where you want to save the resultant PDF file.

Because it installs on your computer as a printer it can print/create PDFs from any application that has the ability to print, even if they don't offer built in PDF creation, and it's usually better than any built in PDF tool.
    (I install it on every computer that I get).

PS. You will also need to install 'Ghostscript' or similar, there is a link on the CutePDF download page.

https://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

Like I say it's free so give it a try.
    Last edited by NukeCad; 04-11-2020 at 02:09 PM.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NukeCad View Post
    How are you printing to PDF?

I've always found that Autocad's own PDF creation gives missing lines like that (or extended lines) with fills and solid hatches.

For years now I have used a free little utility called 'CutePDF Writer' instead, and it gives much better results.

It installs as a printer, when you want to plot as a PDF you just print as normal and select CutePDF as the printer, it asks you where you want to save the resultant PDF file.

Because it installs on your computer as a printer it can print/create PDFs from any application that has the ability to print, even if they don't offer built in PDF creation, and it's usually better than any built in PDF tool.
    (I install it on every computer that I get).

PS. You will also need to install 'Ghostscript' or similar, there is a link on the CutePDF download page.

https://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

Like I say it's free so give it a try.
    Thanks for your reply.

We,re normally using a free PDF printer called Bullzip PDF Printer (also free). We found something in Adobe reader in Edit/Preference, to unset a certain option (Drawing lines finish). By making this change, that change in our own viewing only. That means this is not necesserly true in our clients.

We tried another thing. simply copie 3 times the logo under himself and finally creating a new block with those 3 images. This solution is a good patch to resolve our problem by changing nothing else.

So I think my problem is resolved.

Maybe that solution is simple but can serv to anyone else.

Thanks you!

Maxime

The white lines on your posted PDF do follow a repeating pattern which shows that it's how the PDF creator is processing the image.
    (It actually looks like 3 different repeating patterns but that could simply be down to the differing widths at each section of the logo).

By overlaying 3 copies of the hatch then it will still be putting a pattern of lines on each one, but they will be slightly different on each hatch and so each pattern of lines will get overwritten by solids on the other two.

Doing that will increase the Autocad filesizes slightly, but that shouldn't be a great problem and as long as it works for you then fine.

PS. Bullzip has more features such as password protection, etc. CutePDF is faster and makes smaller PDF filesizes.
    Both are pretty good.
    There are plenty of other free PDF printers and in the end it's down to user choice.
    https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-...-pdf-printers/
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

Oh nice thanks for info!

In our case, we only need 2D drawings so files are never too big. That's why the company which I'm working for don't want to upgrade from 2004 to 20XX version.

And yes, probably the PDF printing is in cause of my problem. Hatch fonction is still used with solid option so in theory, that means that there is not pathern on filling a form.

Anyways, for the moment, that looks good in viewing as PDF and printing on a sheet. Hope that it can stay true in any case.

Thanks!

Maxime