Thread: Publishing viewports in autocad 2018

Publishing viewports in autocad 2018

Hello,
    hopefully this forum is still active,
    I was wondering if anyone may have some advice,

I have a template of viewports that originally were all landscape, the CAD guru at my work added some portrait pages for me, and as individuals they work great, but when I go to publish the portraits, they plot as landscape and crop the page.
    I immagine there is one little checkbox in there somewhere that we are all overlooking, but after spending many hours trying to find, I have gone bat crazy and given up,
    any assistance would be appreciated, direct email {email address removed for security} if it is easier,
    thank you
    regards
    dale
    Last edited by NukeCad; 04-09-2020 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Ramsey View Post
    Hello,
    hopefully this forum is still active,
    Unfortunately not so much these days.

I've removed your email address for your security, it's never a good idea to put it openly where spambots can harvest it and then bombard you with spam or even ransomware.

As for your plotting/publishing problem;
    I suspect that although the borders/viewports have been drawn in portrait your colleague may have forgotten to change the page setup and so the actual layout size is still landscape?

They would still plot correctly if you use plot extents, but when it comes to publishing that would take the actual layout sizes.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NukeCad View Post
    Unfortunately not so much these days.

I've removed your email address for your security, it's never a good idea to put it openly where spambots can harvest it and then bombard you with spam or even ransomware.

As for your plotting/publishing problem;
    I suspect that although the borders/viewports have been drawn in portrait your colleague may have forgotten to change the page setup and so the actual layout size is still landscape?

They would still plot correctly if you use plot extents, but when it comes to publishing that would take the actual layout sizes.
    thank you for your help with this,
    I might sound like an idiot, but I have spent a couple of hours this morning trying to find out where and how I can change this, in page set up ( individually ) they say (portrait ), but is is after the size of 293 x 420, which is the A3 size, should this read 420 x 293 so height before width?

if you have any further info on how or where it would be awesome,
    cheers
    Dale

Metric sheets are usually specified width x height so A3 would be 420x297.

420x297 should be A3 in Landscape orientation.
    297x420 should be A3 in Portrait orientation.

If the layout size is correct then it may be that you inadvertently have the plot/publish settings set to rotate it?
    Try changing the plot settings, bottom left of the plot dialogue, to each of Landscape/Portrait in turn an seeing what each gives as a plot.

One of the niggles with AutoCad is that there are so many different ways of doing things that one setting may override another.
    Plotting/publishing can be a particular minefield at times.

I no longer have access to AutoCad (I gave up drafting work 9 years ago) so I can't even take a look at your drawing.

I suggest that you join over at Catutor https://www.cadtutor.net/forum/ which is much more active than here. (Many of the old regulars from here are still active there).
    Explain what you are trying to do and your problem, attaching a .dwg copy of your layout, remove anything commericially sensitive.
    That way someone there can upload it into AutoCad and take a look at just what the settings are that may be causing your problem.

Sorry not to be of more help here.

PS. Just one more thing, if you are trying to publish as PDFs then I never used to bother with that in AutoCAD and instead used to used something called "CutePDF Writer".
    It's free and installs as a Virtual Printer that you select in the normal plot dialogue like any other printer but instead of giving a physical print it creates and saves a PDF.
    I always found it much more reliable/controlable doing that than using Autocad's publish to PDF.
    Once installed it lets you 'print' from any programme to a PDF file, documents, images, just about anything that you can print from any programme.
    https://www.cutepdf.com/index.htm
    Last edited by NukeCad; 06-09-2020 at 04:30 AM.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.