Thread: Changing Plot Style to meet AEC standards

Changing Plot Style to meet AEC standards

I have been tasked with bringing drawings produced in Autocad Lite 2016 to meet current EAC standards. The companies that produced these drawings didn't use AEC layers, lineweights or plot style. I'm using Autocad 2019. When I run the checker (in the manage tab) I get a Check Standards dialog box. In the Preview of Changes portion of the dialog box, under the Property heading I get the message that Plot Style Mode (not fixable). Under the heading Current Value I get the message "Color Dependent Plot Style Mode". Under the heading Standard Value I get the message "Named Plot Style Mode".
    I know I'm supposed to change the plot style mode to AEC_B&W so that it plots in black and white but I can't find a way to change the plot style mode.
    Does anybody have any suggestions on this? I greatly appreciate any help you can give me.
    Thanks, AZdrafter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Standard Value.jpg   Current Value.jpg   Property.jpg  

One of the strengths of Autocad is that it can be used in many different ways.
    One of the weaknesses of Autocad is that it can be used in many different ways.

Plotting in particular is where this shows up.

Like most things plot styles are an area where different methods can be used by different people.
    There are that many different ways of plotting that it often causes problems, especially when sharing drawings with different companies.

Most people nowadays tend to use Colour Dependent Plot Styles (ctb).
    This is where the colour that you draw an entity determines how thick it should appear when plotted in monochrome.

Some still use named plot styles (stb).
    This is where the name of the plotstyle is used to determine the plotted lineweight, colour doesnt matter.

And of course any object can have these styles overriden by specific settings for that one object.

Usually you would set your line/text color to 'bylayer' and set a color for that layer when you create it.
    Everything drawn on that layer would then adopt the layer color and all would plot with the same thickness.

The AEC colour plot style tables will probably only say what features should be drawn at what thickness.
    eg, outlines 0.35mm, dimensions 0.25mm, hatches 0.18mm, and so on.
    A colour Table (.ctb file) for that style will say what colours plot at which thickness.
    So it's up to the drafter to draw each element in the correct colour depending on what it is.

This is where the 'Bylayer' comes in.
    You make the layer 'Outline' so that it is drawn in whatever colour in the ctb plots at the specified thickness for outlines.
    You make the layer 'Dimensions' so that it is drawn in whatever colour in the ctb plots at the specified thickness for dimensions.
    And so on.
    Of course the drafter has to draw things on the correct layers for it to work properly.

So if the company who has supplied the drawing has used their own plot style there are a couple of options.
    Firstly you have to work out just how they have done it, what their standard plotstyles are. Or ask them.
    You need to know what they have done to work out how best to change it to what you require.
    Then,
    You could edit their plot style table so that it conforms with the AEC standard. This is a 'quick and dirty' way of getting the output you require because you are changing their standard table.
    You could edit each drawing so that the colours of the elements are correct for your AEC plot table and use the AEC table.
    Either way you would have to do this for each drawing.
    Each of those methods changes the content of the drawing, if not it's appearance, so you should realy give it a new issue.

It's hard to advise just which is going to be quickest for you.
    More about Autocad plot style tables.
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...le-tables.html

As a quick try you could set Autocad to plot in monocrome and see how close it is to what you need.
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...n-AutoCAD.html

Just changing which table is used to plot will probably not work, unless all the objects have been derawn with the correct colours for that table.
    Last edited by NukeCad; 05-03-2019 at 12:27 PM.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

Yes, that's what I need to do but how do I edit their plot style table?
    Thanks, AZdrafter.
    Last edited by NukeCad; 05-03-2019 at 09:56 PM.

Sorry, something strange has happened there and I seem to have overwritten part of your post.

(I'm not sure how that happened, the forum has just been moved onto a different server which may have done some funny things with the editor, or I might have made a mistake).

Thanks, AZdrafter
    Try reading the following from the Autodesk Knowledge base:
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...74CCA-htm.html

Be sure to take a look at the Related Concepts and Related Commands.

As I said above there are many different ways of plotting from Autocad so it's difficult to recommend a particular tutorial, if only because it may describe a different method from the one your company uses.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

Sorry, something strange has happened there and I seem to have overwritten part of your post.

(I'm not sure how that happened, the forum has just been moved onto a different server which may have done some funny things with the editor, or I might have made a mistake).

Thanks, AZdrafter
    Try reading the following from the Autodesk Knowledge base:
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...74CCA-htm.html

Be sure to take a look at the Related Concepts and Related Commands.

As I said above there are many different ways of plotting from Autocad so it's difficult to recommend a particular tutorial, if only because it may describe a different method from the one your company uses.