Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dialogue boxes not appearing, FILEIDA is set to 1

Dialogue boxes not appearing, FILEIDA is set to 1

File selection dialogue boxes do not appear when using File/Open, File/Save As, in fact anything that requires a dialogue box like that. System variable FILEDIA is set to 1 and after File/open is clicked the program does not ask for a file name on the command line, it just hangs. I have seen suggestions that the dialogue box could be off screen, but hitting Alt then Spacebar does not bring up the dialogue box permitting move/close, etc, so I assume the dialogue box is not even open somewhere off screen. I can open files from the drop down list of those recently used after clicking File and I can also open files by double clicking them in windows explorer. That allows some useability but I am stuffed if I want to Insert/Raster Image Reference, for example.

I have recently had some drawing files in from an outside source, could they affect/corrupt my software in this way?

Thanks for any assistance offered.

Peter

Are you logged in as an administrator on your own computer?
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

Hello Kyle,

Yes I am. It is a single user PC, and it is not networked at all. A bit more info.....

If I set FILEDIA to 0 it works as expected, asking for a file path on the command line. Set FILEDIA back to 1, click the open folder, Command: Open appears on the command line and thats the end of it, Esc or another click anywhere reports Autocad 'not responding'.

File/Open works fine for other software, Microsoft Word and my PDF software for example, so I am more suspicious of Autocad than Windows itself. The OS is Windows 7 64bit. (Dare not go to Win 10, my faithful but very old Designjet500 doesn't like it!).

Cheers

Peter

I have recently read of other users experiencing the same problem that seems to have occurred after a Windows update.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

Do you not think it strange that a duff windows update would only affect File/Open for Autocad but continue to work fine for other applications. Isn't Windows file open routine, or procedural call, or whatever it is called, used by all applications? I have a second PC here that seems to match the failed PC with updates, (same number on the same day), also with Autocad on it, and that is unaffected.

Beats the heck out of me. I have some version or another of AutoCAD on three different computers and have experienced no problems. I'm just relating what I've read.

Do a REPAIR of the installation. Note: A REPAIR is NOT the same as an uninstall/reinstall.

Yeah, beats me too Kyle! As a matter of interest, with FILEDIA set to 0 it opens files OK when a correct file path is entered on the command line, and I imagine that is using the same file open routine, just passing the parameters in a different way.

I will try a repair this evening, shame, I was looking forward to an episode or two of Fargo on Netflix, such is life. Thanks for your interest.

Peter

A REPAIR shouldn't take any longer than 10 minutes.

I have just run a repair and it did not fix the problem. I am going to try a re-install. I'll let you know.....

Better have a bowl of popcorn and a beer handy. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast