Thread: Attention 3D mouse users

Attention 3D mouse users

Hey everyone! My name is Ben Lorimore and Iím a 19 year old self taught industrial designer from Portland Oregon.

This fall I will be majoring in industrial design at Western Washington University and have been working as hard as I can the past year and a half to become a better designer before college. I recently designed a product I call the Space Cradle, a wood and leather ergonomic handrest for 3D mice (a 3D mouse is a secondary mouse used along with a regular mouse to navigate in 3D programs such as computer aided design, 3D animation, google earth etc.) This was the first product I ever manufactured that I've designed and has by far been the most fun Iíve ever had designing simply because Iíve made my vision a reality. I ended up liking its aesthetics and functionality so much, I decided to launch a Kickstarter for it.

I designed the Space Cradle because I was tired of the lack of ergonomics in my 3D mouse and I didnít want to spend $300+ on a professional 3D mouse with a built in handset and an assortment of buttons because I rarely even use the two buttons on my 3D mouse even after programing them. One of my favorite design trends is wooden accessories for technology so I decided to design one for my most useful piece of technology (my 3D mouse).

If launched, the Space Cradle will come in three color schemes: maple and brown leather, matron and black leather, and walnut and white leather.

Pledge or not, Iíd really appreciate it if youíd check my Kickstarter page and the Space Cradle and give me some feedback ( design, campaign etc.) as this is my first professional project of my own design.

Thanks so much guys!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-mouse-experie

This forum does not usually allow advertising. (I've already banned 5 advertisers today, although only 1 had actually made a post).

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt because this is a kickstarter project.

Whilst I applaud your entrepreneurship two main things are not in your favour at the moment, and you may want to do some more research-

1. Your product seems to be targeted at a specific company's 3D controllers.
      Are you sure that you are not infringing their copyrights or trademarks?
      Have you not approached them for a possible funding or licensing deal? (You may get a lucrative deal, or maybe a job offer).
    2. From a quick trademark search the name you are proposing to use seems to be already trademarked in some countries, albeit for different products.
      Have you looked into the issue of trademarking?

Another problem you will have is that whilst your product looks stylish I don't see anything there that you could protect by a patent or any other means.
    Any manufacturer (maybe the manufacturerer of that 3D controller) could copy that in injection moulded / blow moulded form, including the padded wrist rest, for a fraction of the cost of making it from wood and leather.

So although your wooden product may have a very small niche market it's not going to make much money.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's the realities of manufacturing / retail costs and profit margins.
    https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/170964

Also ask yourself how many wood and leather peripherals have you seen on sale in technology outlets?
    Compare that to how many polymer wrist rests / mouse holders there are in the same outlet.
    One of the reasons for that - manufacturing cost versus achieveable selling price.
    (Injection or blow moulding in polymer materials is pretty cheap these days, certainly cheaper than milling things from solid blocks if you are going to do any kind of volume production).

I'm not trying to discourage you; I'm just pointing out that there is a lot more to consider with product design than just stylish looks.
    One of the main , if not the main, consideration is manufacturing cost. (And don't forget to include the packaging, shipping, etc).
    Last edited by NukeCad; 11-08-2016 at 03:02 AM.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

I apologize, removing the post now.

I assure I am who I say I am though, and regarding the feedback I'm actually not trying to make a lot of money off off this its just a small project of mine for experience and fun.

Again sorry about that.

I'm actually not seeing how to delete it. you can remove it if you'd like though.

No need to remove the post, or the link.

It was just a friendly warning about advertising; if it was blatant company advertising then I would have removed it.

I have however moved the thread into the Design Issues sub-forum. (because it's mainly a design question).

Sorry If I came across as harsh, in my defence it is the middle of the night here in the UK and I've had a hard day.
    (My web browser keeps freezing and I'm trying to work out why, suspicion is the Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade).
    Last edited by NukeCad; 11-08-2016 at 03:03 AM.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NukeCad For This Useful Post:

benlorimore (11-08-2016)

Very nice. Where can I buy one?

Quote Originally Posted by stykface View Post
    Very nice. Where can I buy one?
    right here! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-mouse-experie