Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: creating a block in autocad 2005

Hybrid View

creating a block in autocad 2005

Hi I have tried to make a block from an 8mm bolt but I must be doing something wrong, my O/S is XP pro,and autocad 2005
    I drew the bolt,then from draw, I selected make block, select item (window) enter, name object, select insertion point,OK
    then when I go to insert the block it is not in the drop down menu, If I then go to brows I find the drawing select it but it wont insert in the current drawing ! any help would be much appreciated,
    regards, Andy

There are two commands that are similar but different. One is BLOCK; the other is WBLOCK.

It sounds as though you might have used the WBLOCK command. Is that correct?
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

Hi again but no I used block not wblock, I realize that wblock creates an independent file but no only block,

I have another question.

What are you selecting as the basepoint, for insertion, of your block? Is it 0,0,0 or are you picking right on some part of the geometry itself using your osnaps?
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

That is not exactly true. The user has three options when it comes to the WBlock (write block) command: Retain, Convert to Block and Delete from Drawing.

Hi Kyle,I am picking the left center of the object,the bolt I am drawing is on a horizontal plane, I am only drawing the threaded portion without the head,and I have tried wblock but still no joy,It must be something I am doing wrong but what,!

Which of the three previously mentioned options (see post #5) are you choosing?

Remember that by using the WBlock command you are writing the block definition out to your hard drive where it is saved as a stand-alone drawing (dwg) file meaning it can then be brought into any drawing you are working on.

Can you at least get the regular Block command to work?

Click on the link below. It's a tutorial about blocks. When you get to the page scroll down to the section called WRITING BLOCKS and follow the instructions.

http://www.mycadsite.com/tutorials/level_2/2-2.htm

Hi Kyle,thanks, I have been playing around and if I insert block, nothing, but if I insert from external 2nd from top in drop menu it works, but I created it as a block,! not wblock, strange, maybe you know why, I am self taut from a book, Engineering graphics with autocad-2005 but many thanks for your time,
    regards, Andy

Are you using an add-on program to AutoCAD? What is this reference to "insert from external 2nd from top in drop menu" supposed to mean? Now you have me confused.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast