Thread: Not opening AutoCad files on Windows XP, Windows cannot find %path%\filename.dwg"

Not opening AutoCad files on Windows XP, Windows cannot find %path%\filename.dwg"

Windows XP SP2 - AutoCad 2005 LT
    When double clicking on an Autocad File I get the massage Windows cannot find %path%\filename.dwg. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.
    Searching in AutoDesks site I found out that all AutoCad Versions since 2000 have this problem, thou there are solutions for this problem for all versions there is nothing for 2005 LT.
    Does anybody know how to solve this?

Although the solutions given on the Autodesk site don't always refer to older versions this is merely because the version is out of support date.
    The solutions are often/usually still valid for the older versions.

Firstly, did you try the suggestions given on the autodesk site to reassociate .dwg files?
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...n-Windows.html

Drawings should be associated to open with AcLauncher.exe and not with the Acad.exe itself.

If that still doesn't work then check the following-
    Are the drawings you are trying to open by double clicking stored on a network drive? (i.e. not locally on your PC).
    There can be an issue with double click opening if they are on a networked drive.
    (It could well be that associating the drawing files with AcLauncher.exe soves this as well).

Try saving the drawing to your PC rather than the network, and see if you can double click it from there.
    If you can then that shows it is a network issue and you need to get your IT guys to check your network permissions and access.

EDIT- Also take a look at these articles if your problem is with a networked drive:
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...s-AutoCAD.html
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...rk-drives.html

Just as an aside, you do realise that opening a drawing in this way opens a new instance of Autocad for each drawing, rather than having multiple drawings open in the same AutoCad instance?
    (Nothing particularly wrong with this, I myself prefer to use single drawing mode, just pointing it out).
    Last edited by NukeCad; 02-11-2015 at 11:47 AM.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.