Thread: Autocad not responding

Autocad not responding

Does anyone know of a work around to save a file when ACAD is locked up? I don't think my autosave was set in the dwg file, and I'm about to lose a few hours of work.

This happens to me a lot, especially when I try to trim a hatch field and enter my commands too quickly. It makes acad really mad. It also usually happens when I'm working late, late at night and I'm anxious to be done so I can go to bed.

I hope there's a way to slip in behind the locked up software and save the file... I'm not afraid of DOS, just don't speak the language. Thank you!!

If you are saying AutoCAD is totally frozen then you are out of luck. Is that the case?
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 21-05-2015 at 04:35 PM.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    If you are saying AutoCAD is totally frozen then you are out of luck. Is that the case?
    Yes. It's just fogged over and "not responding". I was about to give up and close the program, but I chose to wait for the program to resolve it's issues. So far, it's unresolved over the past several hours.

I doubt it will resolve all on its own. Kiss it goodbye.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

You may be in luck, at least its worth a try.

Autosave files, .sv$, are created according to your autocad options settings, the are not dependent on each drawings settings.

Since about Acad 2010 the .sv$ files are deleted on a normal Autocad close so are only still there after a crash.

Not sure if you were able to do a normal close or if you had to crash out?

Take a look in the Autocad temporary folder to see if there are any .sv$ files there.
    If you cant find the temporary folder just try using windows explorer to search your harddrive for any .sv$ files.

If you find some you may be in luck, but....

There are two types of .sv$ autosave files, one is a full drawing file, the other is a logfile.
    Whether your .sv$ files are full drawing backups or just log files depends on what you have set the incremental save percentage to in your Autocad Options.
    If ISAVEPERCENT is 100 then you get a full drawing backup, if less than 100 you get a log file.

The file size should give some indication, a drawing will be much bigger than a logfile.

So if you do find any .sv$ files then rename the latest one changing the '.sv$' to '.dwg'

eg. somthing like:
    my_drawing_1234567_08_04_29.sv$
    if you change this to-
    my_drawing_1234567_08_04_29.dwg

Then try to open it in Autocad,
    a drawing will open and you can see what got saved.
    a logfile will not open. (hard luck).

Best advice - get in the habit of saving more often, especially before you do something that you know may cause a freeze.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.