Thread: Copying or transfering drawing done from model to layout sheet

Copying or transfering drawing done from model to layout sheet

Hi,

Can anybody advise me the step by step procedure of putting or copying a drawing from the model sheet into the layout sheet.

Thank you very much, I would appreciate very much if you could spare your time on this request.

You can use the Change Space command < CHSPACE > or simple the Copy/Paste feature.

Is it a title block and border that you wish to move from model space to your layout?
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

Copying or transfering drawing done from model to layout sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    You can use the Change Space command < CHSPACE > or simple the Copy/Paste feature.

Is it a title block and border that you wish to move from model space to your layout?
    I'ts a finished drawing in which I've been using Copy/paste to move it to the layout sheet, but if i would modify the drawing I have to do it in the layout sheet. I would be more comfortable modifying my drawing in the model space but had to copy/paste again into another layout sheet.

If you could help me also how to introduce a new sheet will be much appreciated. I had drawn my borders and title blocks on a model space and I'm trying to set it as my drawings sheet.

Thank you very much.

Most users would leave all the geometry in model space and their title block and border in their layout. Text and dimensions, depending on your preferences, can be placed in model space or the layout.

What are you drawing and why do you want it to be placed in a layout and not left in model space?
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

Title blocks and borders can be drawn in model space then saved as a template. This can then be inserted into your layout via the option "From a template".

Hi ranie,

It seems that you need to learn how to use viewports.
    There is no need to copy your drawing from modelspace into a layout, you draw it in modelspace and then use viewports to see it in the layout, you usually plot from the layout as well. This is how 99.9% of people use AutoCAD.

Viewports can be described as windows in paperspace layouts that show what you have drawn in modelspace.
    They can show the whole of modelspace or just selected parts of it.
    You can have more than one viewport in a layout to show different parts of the modelspace.
    You can change the scale of the viewports to show parts of modelspace in greater detail.

I won't go into a full tutorial here, there are already plenty online that you can find,
    Try typing 'viewports in autocad' into google or any other search engine and you will find plenty of links to tutorials.

You don't say if you are working in metric or imperial but you can find some metric drawing sheets here that are already set up with viewports in the layouts so you can see how it works:
    http://www.cadeverything.com/help/sh...WING-TEMPLATES
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

Copying or transfering drawing done from model to layout sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    Most users would leave all the geometry in model space and their title block and border in their layout. Text and dimensions, depending on your preferences, can be placed in model space or the layout.

What are you drawing and why do you want it to be placed in a layout and not left in model space?
    I am doing a shop drawing for structural steel. The way I look at it, by placing the finish drawing into the layout sheet will be easy to plot at anytime, whereas from the model space, I have to window every time I would plot.

ranie: You are mistaken. As NukeCad has aptly pointed out the solution to your problem is to use a viewport, or more than one viewport, in your layout. I'd recommend learning this technique as it will make your life a lot easier.

Here are two links I highly recommend. The first will tell you most everything you need to know about the use of viewports in a layout. The second will tell you all the ways there are for setting viewport scale. Read both then return here with any further questions.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showth...viewport+scale

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showth...ight=viewports