PDA

View Full Version : midpoint problem

darco
14-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Hi,
I am new to the forum and autocad.Anyway I use 2007 during my course and have 2009 at home.I just cant seem to find the midpoint auto like in 2007, i know its probs a stupid question but can someone help.:banghead3

NukeCad
14-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Yes: you need to turn it on

TOOLS > DRAFTING SETTINGS > OBJECT SNAP > MIDPOINT

Might not be quite the same menus in 2009 but it will be close to the above.

the_prankster
16-07-2008, 02:03 PM
The first thing I tell anyone new to CAD is that there are 3 ways (or more) to do everything.

You can get to your object snap settings (which controls what points you snap to by doing one of these things.

1. Type "OS" in the command line (you can also type "DS" for the draffting settings)
2. Right click on OSNAP under the comand line and pick settings from the flyout menu.
3. Click the tools menu>drafting settings. (You may need to click on the object snaps tab to set your snaps)
4. Change your "OSmode" alot of people don't seem to know about OSmode but every combination of Object snaps has its own OSmode number, so it makes it easy to turn several snaps on and off in 1 command.
If you only want midpoint, the Osmode is 16386. Osmode 31743 is all snaps.
I use Osmode 255 most of the time

NukeCad
18-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Hi Prankster

Yes; there is usually more than one way of doing something in AutoKid (when its not sulking).

When answering someones query though I try to keep the answer as simple as possible, especially if they say they are new or it is obvious that they are.

There is no point in confusing people by giving them too much information.

I have always belived that the best way to learn things is in small stages, get going first then learn the fancy bits later.

jimithing
18-07-2008, 07:27 PM
I just change mbuttonpan to "0" and it allows me to use my center scroll button when pushed, to the total snap menu.

NukeCad
18-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Yes; but the mouse I use at work is a 4D jobby; it has the normal left / right click, two wheels, and a side button for the thumb (if you are not left handed).

It would not be much use trying to explain how I use that to someone who has only a L / R mouse. Or even to someone who has the standard intellimouse.

P.S. I use an a single wheel intellimouse at home and on the laptop behind the hotel bar. I get frustrated with it when I try to use the second wheel or the thumb button.

the_prankster
19-07-2008, 01:42 AM
Do what you want but not everyone likes doing something your way, so I think its better to give them options and let them make up their own miind instead of assumming the people asking questions are stupid. Also sometimes other people will ready the question and maybe learn something, but thanks for your advice.

The mouse menu is great if you don't use it alot. You can get the same menu on right click by changing your right click settings in preferences.