PDA

View Full Version : Drafting Dimension Standards

Plotter Guy
05-07-2008, 05:07 AM
Does anyone here know of a good resource for current Drafting Dimension Standards? I'm still living by the Thomas French text book "Engineering Drafting" written in 1932. I know times have changed and I really want to bring my Drafting up the modern age! Being semi-retired and working in the environment I work in, I'm pretty out of touch with expectations of the modern world! I've been real lucky that in all my Drafting Career, Most of my work has been for illustration or programing CNC Machinery. I'm real interested in expanding my Freelance work to a more professional level. right now 1/2 of what I do is to take sketches and create Drawings to make programs for the Waterjet Cutter, Laser Cutter, or the 5 Axis Mill, and the other half is illustration for Sales and instruction, so I don't do much Dimensioning, and what little I do is read by IDIOTS that wouldn't know Proper from Crap! like when I do shop drawings for a chassis or other Fabricated parts, I trey to maintain standards, but as long as they are readable , it's all good. SO I've gotten lazy and not kept up with Current Practices. and most of my Freelance clients, are of the kind as long as it looks Complicated and Official they wouldn't know the difference.

tinsmith
06-07-2008, 02:23 AM
Some of the people I work with, still go by that standard.

The new way is "Hack' considered by them. It is from what I see too.

You're in a different world if you're doing parts.

NukeCad
06-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Not sure how much help this is in the US but over here new work should be to BSEN or BSEN ISO standards.Although some people and companies still work to old (superceded) BS standards with no problems.

I assume that there will be a ANSI or ASME equivelent standards for draughting; but of course whichever side of the atlantic you live standards usually cost too much for an individual to buy.

Your Autocad original settings should have your countries dimensioning standards as the default dimstyle, (in Europe this "ISO-25"), and this should give you a start.

Having said that - if your dimensioning is legible, you dont end up with things being dimensioned twice, and you take care to avoid tolerance build-ups on machined components, - then you should be OK unless the client has specifically asked for dimensioning to be to a certain published standard.

NukeCad
09-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Just looked it up - the latest dimensioning standard for use in the UK is BS ISO 129-1:2004 (ISO 129-1:2004 in Europe).

It costs 130 (US$ 260) so I won't be buying one.

architech
10-07-2008, 02:16 AM
:thspitcoffee:

Funny thing happens when i google....
"Drafting Dimension Standard" ....
A few links pop up... LOL
(rickard5.....)

Not the 1st time this has been asked....

Of course ... If you google something closer to what you want...
"technical Drafting Standards"

Or you could just look up that book....
"Technical Graphics Communication by Bertoline and Wiebe"

:p :) :thumbsup:

Just a bitter nor-easternor... LOL