PDA

View Full Version : Do you or your company use Vista

VERYCIVILDRAFTER
04-04-2008, 06:46 PM
I'm just curious, do you ever use Microsoft Vista?

civiltech1680
05-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Okay, you might find this to be a little weird, but, I use a Mac and OSX 10.4.11 When I had seen my very expensive, highly customized, literally hand built PC starting to bite the dust, I began saving for the new PC. It was time to start fresh and have a nice clean machine. Eventually, the PC that served me oh not so great over the years and upgrades really started to begin being unstable. I went out looking for something off the shelf this time, rather than having it built to order. You know, something with a warranty and service, etc., so that I would not have to spend so much time and money.

What I saw and read about Vista really bugged me. Especially the additional cost and the versions I would need. I went and tested a lot of machines, and wasn't impressed, besides, I would still need XP in order to run acad and LDD. I was bitching about the aspects of Vista, and the general crappiness I thought it was when someone suggested I shut the &*#$ up and go look at a Mac.

So, I did. I went to the Apple store and asked "but I still need to run windows?" and the kid whipped up Parallels and a window opened with XP running in it. Afterwards I went online and researched the performance of acad and LDD under a VM like Parallels, and found no one really had any problems. So, I did it. I now run acad under XP in the VM, and everything else I do using the Mac side. I keep the VM and XP disconnected from the network, so there is no need for any antivirus software or firewall, etc. I don't need it if I'm not hooked up to the internet. So far, I have had no problems with performance at all. And I have never had a problem with the Mac, no crashes, meltdowns, anything.

Mind you, this is my home machine. At work, they have me on a networked Dell and it is crap. It crashes, becomes unstable, freezes, etc everyday, multiple times each day. Granted, home is an ideal situation, there is no monitoring software running, no av, no print monitor, it makes for a very clean system. At work they have so much bullcrap loaded and running on the machines it sucks up all the systems resources. But there's nothing I can do about that, that is what work and IT Guy want.

tinsmith
05-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Has anyone heard anything about running ACAD with Vista???

civiltech1680
05-04-2008, 09:58 PM
The have been some posts about on Autodesk's forums. I haven't paid much attention to them though since it's not yet an issue for me.

VERYCIVILDRAFTER
07-04-2008, 04:05 PM
I do purchasing, set up, and maintenance on all the PC's here. After accounting for the resources used by all the "protection" software and Outlook, I have to spend a minimum $2100 at D3LL to get an XP machine that's fighting fit for work tasks.

Keep in mind we're in civil engineering, minimal 3d let a lone rendered objects. Anyway, Vista kind of scares the hell out of me, our little shop can't afford tons of system upgrades.

Unfortunately, my job has been a "learn as you go" endeavor, so I've had to upgrade some machines and just plain retire a few. The ones I've retired are the ones we started off with... just three of us working from my house... with no money.
:birth:

:confused: I've always wondered how much money this company could have saved if I knew anything about Linux when we started... seems like it's cheep, bare bones, and fast. But like I said I don't know next to nothing about it.
:confused:

civiltech1680
07-04-2008, 10:14 PM
I think autodesk only runs under XP.

VERYCIVILDRAFTER
07-04-2008, 11:35 PM
I think autodesk only runs under XP.

Anybody else find that odd?

Side note: Started using Firefox 3 Beta today... damn thing is fast :o

CarLB
07-04-2008, 11:41 PM
We're using AutoCAD 2008 & Vista. Supposedly Autodesk doesn't support 2008 on anything other than Vista, athough I've heard of many people who are running 2008 on XP without problems.

mad@cad
08-04-2008, 03:25 PM
I have pesta and acad on my laptop...

i hate vista (pesta)

VERYCIVILDRAFTER
08-04-2008, 03:43 PM
I use XP at work and home.

Gates just announced Windows 7 might be out in late of 2009. I think I'll try to hold out for 7 at home for another 2 years.

I'm positive that won't fly at work.

http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9911470-56.html?tag=bl

tinsmith
09-04-2008, 01:41 AM
We run 2008 on XP.

Everyone's afraid to make the move....including me.

I just got a new laptop with XP

mgeee
21-04-2008, 03:32 PM
I am running acad 2007 on a 32 bit Vista SP1 Laptop.

My system is an HP Pavillion DV9700t,
Intel Core 2 Duo T9300@2.50 GHz (6mb cache)
4 MB Ram, Dual 120 gig hd drv's
Nvidia GeForce 8600M GS video.
17" display

I have had no problems running 07 on this machine.
My original plan was to install XP as a dual boot O/S but I'm not experiencing anything to require this at this time.
Thanks,
Mgeee