PDA

View Full Version : autocad and drawing skills?

jason4
20-05-2006, 12:05 AM
Do you need to know how to draw to learn autocad?I'm thinking about going to school for autocad drafting but I have no skills as far as drawing.I can read residential architectural blueprints.(I work in a custom cabinet shop)thanks for your help.

csiarch
20-05-2006, 02:48 AM
First of all, hats off to you for recognizing your limitations. There are many cad users out there clogging up things because they refuse to come to grips with a lack of drawing skills.

In the pencil and paper days it was relatively easy to tell the difference between goo drafters and bad drafters. Now, along comes a cadd program and everyone's drawings look about the same.

If you can read basic architectural and mechanical drawings, take notice of the composition of these drawings. This will give you some clues about drawing.

Are the images arranged neatly and logically on the the pages?

Is it easy to understand the intent of the drawings?

Are detail references easy to read and follow to subsequent pages?

If you can emulate the composition and arrangement of images in a comprehensive set of drawings, this is a big step in the right direction. You should realize that it takes some bit of experience to learn how to assemble a good set of drawings.

It is also helpful to acquaint yourself with basic plane geometry concepts, many of which form the foundation of how cadd programs create cretain objects.

In my case, I had about 25 years of mechanical and architectural drafting behind me when I taught myself cadd. The pencil and paper were simply replaced by the keynoard and pointing device.

Hope this helps a little.....

mom of 3
23-05-2006, 12:54 PM
I will admit, I can't draw for squat, but I miss drafting with my pencils! I went into drafting classes in high school knowing full well that I can't even draw a stick figure, BUT, I was always doodling abstract forms & shapes, & I have always had soooooooo many ideas of custom houses in my head for so many years, I felt I needed to take drafting.
I my personal opinion, I don't think it matters much if you can draw or not. As long as you have the basic knowledge & understanding, such as CSIARCH mentioned, you should be able to learn CADD just fine. It's up to what you feel you are able to absorb & retain. Now, ask me about 3D & I won't answer you.........I don't get along with 3D very well.........:banghead3

:080402gud
T

csiarch
24-05-2006, 01:23 AM
Brink...Best Wishes on the marriage....

Change your font color to something darker; hard for old eyes to read.

So, if you've got all this stuff in your head, why aren't you putting into digital format? HUH?????

On 3D....In 2d, all objects are drawn in the X-Y plane. With that thought in mind, if you wish to draw something in 3D, all you have to do is reorient the X-Y plane and draw as if it were 2D.

Learn to reorient the UCS and learn how to change your view of the drawing using Vpoint > Rotate....

"The hardest part about doing 3D work is remembering where you are."

mom of 3
24-05-2006, 01:49 PM
So, if you've got all this stuff in your head, why aren't you putting into digital format? HUH?????

Good question - I don't have CAD at home.........:signdammi
When I first went out looking for a drafting job (I had 6+ yrs of health insurance at that time), NO ONE would even look at me. I was mid 20s, had just gone back to college & no drafting experience other than what I had in HS & what I was taking at that time. Believe me, I applied at so many freaking architectural firms, it's not even funny! I ended up at a temp agency, who placed me at a civil engineering company. Since that company wouldn't make me permanent (had something against single parents apparently), I found another job - at a structural firm. The architectural firms out here are very particular, I guess. We have a lot of them around!!!! Anyway, since that company, I've been at 2 other civil firms, including the current job.
To make a long story short, sorta, I have mainly civil experience, I still have not earned my degree, & with no architectural experience, I can't even get my foot in the door. In Omaha alone, there are a bazillion custom home builders, but do you think I'd have a chance with ANY of them? We're hoping that in 10 yrs from now, when the last of our boys will be out of HS, we can leave here, I will have started my own business & I will have my name out there. Then y'all can say "we knew her when she was a technologically illiterate chatty mom with no experience!" :D

Thank you for the wishes, CSI & I hope this color works better!
T

PS-I'm not sure if I will ever understand the whole 2D/3D thing. Something in my mind just doesn't absorb it. *shrug*

csiarch
26-05-2006, 02:24 AM
Brink....I hate to say this but working for architectural firms about anywhere is tough without the proper equipment....if you get my meaning.

Try women and minority-owned firms. Also try interior design firms who do their own cad work. At least there you would get the opportunity to "work over" architectural drawings.

Go back and re-read what I said about 3D work. It just ain't that hard, sweetie!

Lesson 1: Draw a line. Select the line and open the properties dialogue. Scroll down the properties until you get to "thickness". Select thickness and enter a value. Congratulations! You just drew your first 3D object!

Can't see any difference? Type Vpoint, Rotate, 225, 25 at the prompts. Zoom in on your line and note that it extends "up". When done type Vpoint, Rotate 270,90.

mom of 3
26-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Brink....I hate to say this but working for architectural firms about anywhere is tough without the proper equipment....if you get my meaning.

Try women and minority-owned firms. Also try interior design firms who do their own cad work. At least there you would get the opportunity to "work over" architectural drawings.

Yep, I know exactly what you mean, & I have tried (well at that time, it was the only one) a female run company. Minority around here? :yikes: HA!
Ahem....
I am looking into getting into the women's council for the area builders association, though, so that may help me a little.

I'm talking the 3D with the whole light/shadow/perspective/life-like features.......I can't grasp that part....... :nowork:

Have a good holiday y'all!
:cool: