Thread: Educational Plot Stamp Rethink

Educational Plot Stamp Rethink

For years we (and other forums) have had questions regularly posted asking how to get rid of the Educational Plot Stamp.

For years we (and other forums) have told people that it is illegal to remove this stamp and use the drawing for commercial purposes.

HOWEVER it seems that AutoDESK have now changed their policy on this issue.

With AutoCAD 2015 (and LT) when you save a drawing that has the Educational Plotstamp, the stamp will be totally removed and the drawing can then be sent to other users and earlier version users without the stamp.

AutoCAD 2014 with SP1 also does not show / plot the stamp or give a warning that the drawing has the stamp attached.
    In this case though the stamp is still there, it just can't be seen in 2014SP1.
    WARNING- If you send that drawing to someone with an earlier version, that user will see the warning and the stamp.

More info here: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppor...al-Issues.html

I have yet to find anything official from AutoDESK explaining this change of policy.
    Last edited by NukeCad; 19-06-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

Further to this:

CONFIRMED.
    DwgTruview 2015 will also remove the educational plotstamp, you wont even be warned if it is there.

UNCONFIRMED but strongly indicated.
    Autocad 360 also removes the stamp.
    Autocad 2015 student version no longer applies the stamp

There is still some confusion about just what these changes mean.
    The 2014 and 2015 license agreements continue to prohibit the use of educational version produced content for comercial purposes.
    But neither warn you that you have edu. content in a drawing, and 2015 will remove it when you save the drawing, you have no control over this.

There has been heavy debate elsewhere about just what the legality of the situation is now.
    The best answer at the moment seems to be that if you are using earlier than 2014 SP1 you will still get warnings about edu content and it will be against your licence agrement to remove the stamp and use the drawing commercially.
    However if you are using 2014SP1 or 2105 you wont get the warnings and so cannot be reasonably expected to comply with
    this clause in the licence agreement.
    The same would seem to apply to any drawing that has been 'cleaned' by 2015 and then used in an earlier version, if you dont
    get any warning then how can you be expected to comply.

From statments given Autodesk are aware of this problem of what is in breach of licence and what is not but still remain strangely quiet on the issue.
    Last edited by NukeCad; 09-07-2014 at 03:32 AM.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

Additional.

The Educational plotstamp has been re-introduced with AutoCad 2019 products.
    (I guess too many people were cheating and using an edu. licence for commercial work).

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...-products.html