Thread: Lineweight in construction drawings

Lineweight in construction drawings

Is there a set standard for lineweights when using materials such as brick, block, wood, etc in autocad?

Many thanks

architech Guest
    Architecturally, "in plan" the walls are drawn in a "weight 2". In section, the wall construction has the 2 outside lines in weight 2 or 3, depending on the scale. The wall section can anything you want ...brick, block, drywall, etc.... It's just the outside lines that are heavy and the hatches are "half tone/ grey lines" .. at least that my preference ... and the other line work in between is weight 1 or 0 depending on the scale.

CSIarch might jump in here and add to this or give a different spin on this.

Let's see who else jumps in on here. :roll: 8) :lol:

... next... :arrow:

This question was asked in the Autodesk forums; is this the same poster????

Architech: If I had a clue about what "weight 2", "weight 3" etc meant, I might respond. Is this some sort of secret code known only to a select few insiders? :? Did I miss a staff meeting?????

As far as I know, there are no universal line weight standards. This si such a touchy subject that anyone proposing such a set of standards would probably be shouted sown, tarred and feathered and sent packing into the night.

Offices usually set their own standards, sometimes by trial and error until they can plot drawings that "look" right. Therein lies the problem. Something that looks right to one project manager will not look right to another one -if for no other reason than "pride of authorship" (Translate: "I'm not going to use the same thing as he's using."

There are some cues that can be followed in the AIA Layering Guidelines where they make distinctions in layer naming using the terms: XFIN, FINE, MEDM, HEVY and XHVY. I believe the intent of using these key words in layer naming is to distinguish a group of line weights.

Note there are only FIVE listed and no description of line width is mentioned.

If one keeps line weight definitions (in ctb files) simple, they're more likely to be understood and used.

For starters, you could expand on these suggestions:

XFIN - (.004" - .006") - Hatching in details, objects beyond cutting planes in sections, existing objects to remain (as is). etc.

FINE - (.008" - .01") - Hatching in plans, objects of minor importance, secondary outlines..... minor importance text and notes.

MEDM - (.015" - .02") - Major object outlines in section and plan, even foot contour lines, major text and notes.

HEVY - (.025" - .032") - Outlines of objects to be emphasized (new building in foreground; old building in background in FINE or MEDM), large height text, sheet borders, other objects that you want to call attention to

XHVY - (user choice) Cover sheet title text and so on (I'm running out of ideas).

There are ISO standards out there that have prescribed line weights and pen colors assigned. I assume companies adhering to ISO standards use these in lieu of personal preferences.

Keep in mind also that line weights will appear differently on ink jet plotters vs. laser plotters vs. thermal plotters. Line weights will also appear differently if plotting on bond paper vs. vellum.

Is this enough jumping in? :roll:

It's 2310 in the Sierra Time Zone and I'm going to bed. 'Nitey, nite.

8) You know guys I don't normally respond to any posts of this nature because of varying beliefs.

All I want to say to ALCADZAZ is,as you move from office to office get into the habit of asking................

What are this officesstandards....forget trying to find out if there is one universal standard.

school, colledges ect. will teach new users to use standards (from a book) but until drawing offices do like wise and use one standard and not their own the problem will exist. 8)

I so don't want to get involved in this... :|

I don't want to detract from anything above because it's all good advice.

There are a few eyes that will be looking at your drawing that you have to please. Your boss, the municipalities, and your client.

If the Boss is competent you shouldn’t have to worry about the other two. If your boss’ skills leave something to be desired, rummage through your company's projects and find the latest project that was government approved and client built. It's usually pretty easy, because a lot of offices have a project that they like to brag about it.

If you’re doing this for a class or personal project and need an example, try and find some pretty drawings online... since it sounds like your looking for architectural standards... go to a big hardware store and buy some home construction plans (plans for a nice dog house might even work), the cost of a library card can find you some good examples, or as a last resort go look in public record.

I'd be nice if someone would just set one standard for everybody, but then they'd make us pay for it. Anybody know the latest price for a copy of AIA?

architech Guest
    What's a weight 0 .. 2 ... etc ..... :shock: ... wow here I'm thinking this was a common term .... :?: granted I only worked in 2 offices all my life ...

ops:

But my 1st office was in the city for a drafting bureau which drafted for multiple offices which understood the term.

And this office uses the same terms.

At least in the realm of dealing with architects ... the terms are taken as the norm.

OK enough of that ... "I was wrong" .... :roll:

So weight 0 ... 2.... 4 .... etc....

I'm assuming that everyone uses more than one color in AutoCAD to produce a "less than" flat drawing.

Let's say "for example" .... you have .004" ; .008"; .015"; .025"; .035" ... and that's it ...

Then you have weight 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 and that's it ....

So ... that's what I meant by weights ...

As CSIarch said ... this is a touchy subject ....
    But this place is so quiet ... :!: ... we could use some shouting ... so I welcome some annoyed people to speak out and critize my comments and all ... after me...

So we have references to ISO, books, and refer to current office standards ....

But I still stand by my original post.
    Colors may change but there will always be an (weight 0) extra fine line ... and a medium (weight 2) line ... and graphically for sections I think illustrates well.

It's like a drawing a perspective.

The closer objects are darker in "hues" and "sharper" ....... while further away obejects are lighter and less sharp.
    Just look at a picture with an exagerrated perspective.
    To me this is a standard for drawing.

Hence for drafting I feel the above stated is a standard for me.

Ok .. let me have it ...
    How wrong am I ... :mrgreen:

Don't worry I have thick skin ....

Later guys.
    Keep posting..... :wink: 8) :lol: :P

My dad can beat up your dad!

I am sorely disappointed in architech and csiarch.. both of you should know, pen weights refer to the tip width on an inking pen. If there is any standard that cad drafts-people should be held to; our drawings should look as nice (preferably better) than anything that can be drawn by hand. I mean what is that $1000 machine sitting on your desk for? Oh right…. for you to be lazy, cut corners, and argue in online chat forums.

:P

:lol:

VCD:

Who said anything about PEN weights?

A sense of disappointment after reading a response is purely subjective AFIK.

It's been proven time and again that content, not presentation is what counts in the final analysis. Cad drawings can make an incompetent drafter's drawings look nice but content is missing. This does NOT apply to you, VCD.
    The purpose of my post was to give someone whom I felt didn't have a good grasp of LINE weight usage a little back ground and a starting point.

Eddie's comments about every office having their own standards is correct but to simply make that statement without a discussion of LINE weights in general falls short of adequately responding to the OP's question IMO.

Sheesh! :roll: