Thread: Loading acad14 on partioned hard drive

Loading acad14 on partioned hard drive

I have acadr14 on old comp that is not partitioned. It also has a 3rd party program added to it for my business. I have a new comp with win7 and as many have attested acadr14 is impossible to load. I still need R14, so I partioned the comp and installed winXP installed acadR14 and that went well. My add on program only partially works, seems like a lot of lisp files do not load. I copied everything exactly from the old comp to the new. The new partition name is J(drive) not C(drive). Could this be the cause of some lisps not loading? I looked into some of the lisp files and .mns file and noticed that they use C: is some of the language. Obviously the new comp has all files beginning with J:.for example defun. if c: .....etc, and there is no c: in new partition.
    Could this cause the lisps not to load?
    Thanks, Mike

That is not the cause of the lisp not loading.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

Kyle, Ok thanks for that, I am trying to narrow the problem down. I see that when I try and use some drop down menus i.e. draw a steel cross section... the command line reads "error null function PROTECTED". This must be why they don't load properly. My old setup , which works great does not show that obviously. I have literally and exact copy of what works on the old comp but not working correctly on new comp. Why would these files be blocked on new comp? is there a setting? Thanks for the help in advance. Is there a way to chat online or some other way to get help for a fee that you know of? There used to be a guy named Joe Biddy in Georgia and do not know if he still works or retired.

I use MSN Messenger on rare occasions.

Fee based help for AutoCAD r14, in my opinion, would be virtually non-existent. Keep in mind AutoCAD 2013 just got released a couple of weeks ago. How many r14 users do you think there are still? For that matter how many people using AutoCAD today even remember there was a version called Release 14?

I am not familiar with Mr. Biddy or what he did. Sorry.

Please describe your old setup hardware/software.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

Something does come to mind.

Since you "copied" files/folders from the old to the new system rather than going through an installation process it is possible there are one or more entries that are missing in the Windows XP Registry. What method did you use to "copy" files and folders?

AutoCAD r14 was released in February, 1997. That's 15 years ago. In computer terms it is considered a dinosaur.

Windows 95 was released in August, 1995 while Winodws 98 was released in June, 1998.

Which means that you should have been running AutoCAD r14 under either of these two OSes and not XP. My pick would have been Windows 98 SE (Second Edition).
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 22-04-2012 at 08:54 PM.

yes.. I understand my situation. Upgrading right now is too expensive for my business.. I have to amend what I posted earlier today since I have been trying many things lately. The add-on steel program was set up copying files from the original CD rom of the program, not installing them from an "install file" . I worked thru that years ago with the help from others. (the original cd-rom had protected files which I just tried yesterday and found the "protected files" which is when I posted the earlier message. I deleted all that I copied over and reinstalled the files from the "working" old comp via a memory stick and set up the new comp exactly as the old. No protected files there, but the lisps do not load or partially load. The steel program is loaded via the "support file search path" in acad. then the "menu" is opened to load the ".mns" file. That gets me 90% there, but still unworkable for the business. I could try reinstalling acad14 using the compatability mode in Win98. Old hardware is WinXP on 32 bit system I believe. New comp is 64 bit. but partitioned with the WinXP. Thanks

Something is blocking acad from opening the lisp files of the steel program. the command line reads different after the command is given compared to the old setup in the old comp. i.e. the old comp just loads and continues normally, the new has more coded language in the command line after the command is given .

I believe the problem may be that you have some 16-bit code that will not run on a 64-bit machine.

Could be, but the WinXP is a 32 bit oper. system on the partition, as well as the acad14. The acad might even be 16 bit. This is beyond my knowledge though.
    Thanks again. I will keep searching for a solution. I might "image" the old comp to a new compatable computer.