Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing the cursor position in wireframe mode?

mdimattei Guest

Changing the cursor position in wireframe mode?

I teach an AutoCAD course and some of my students are having problems drawing in 3-D wireframe mode. I can't remember how to change the cursor to draw in different planes in wireframe mode. I know how to change the isometric plane in isometric mode (F5) but when my students are drawing with 4 different viewports and one of their viewports is SW or SE isometric how do you change the cursor? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

You have to reorient the UCS. You can do this manually via the UCS command.

Please confirm what version you and your students are using.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

This is what the inputs would be if you wanted to reorient the UCS so the "Y" axis was pointed up.

Type UCS then press the Enter key.

Current ucs name: *WORLD*

Specify origin of UCS or [Face/NAmed/OBject/Previous/View/World/X/Y/Z/ZAxis]
    <World>: X

Specify rotation angle about X axis <90>: 90

You should also be able to manipulate via the UCS toolbar I believe.

Refer to your AutoCAD Help file, topic UCS, for additional information.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

mdimattei Guest
    My students are using 2002. Thanks for the response.

You do realize that educators like yourself and your students qualify for the latest in free software from AutoDesk. There is no reason why you should be using AutoCAD 2002 when 2013 just shipped. I have it already up and running on my computer.

mdimattei Guest
    I didn't realize that because we've always had to pay for it. How do we get free software? I have 20 computers plus mine in my classroom. How do I get 21 free copies of AutoCAD 2013?

You need to get out of the classroom more often. Start with this link to the AutoDesk Community - Students & Educators.

http://students.autodesk.com/

mdimattei Guest
    Actually getting out of the classroom is the ONLY way I could teach my students on free software. Autodesk does NOT allow the free software to be used in the classroom for instructional purposes. I could order the software for at home use but it is not allowed to be downloaded in our classroom. Autodesk has to make their money somehow. I thought maybe there was some other way to get free software.

Dang it!

Well, have your students run home, download the software to their laptops then bring the laptops to school. LoL

There's no discount offered to schools?

mdimattei Guest
    There is a discount but you have to pay for an annual license. Once you terminate the agreement they take away all of the software and you're back to using whatever you were using before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast