Thread: Spline line going all over in 3d

Spline line going all over in 3d

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screwy spline problem.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	966Well, I never ran into this situation before. My computer blew up not long ago and I got it fixed and reloaded R-14, things are different this time. When I go to use the "splineline" in 3d I am getting a wierd hooks going the oposite direction at one end or the other of the end of the splineline attached points. I tried to attach a sketch to show whats happening but I havnt been able to that yet. Lets say I have a series of different sized elliptical cross sections, centered & perpendicular to on a common centerline. I divide the ellipses evenly lets say by 10 and I want to join the marks with a splineline to make it look like a wire frame. The slines are hooking around at the end attached end points either at the start or the end of the splineline. I never had to deal with this issue ever before. How can I correct this? I played areound with the UCS but that seems to have no effect.
    Anyway, I would greatly appreciate any help to solve this issue.
    Best Regards,
    ~Vancam

It looks like (some of) the ends of the splines are joining the end elipses at a tangent to the plane of the elipse.

I dont do much 3D but 2D splines ask for the tangent to the endpoints when you are creating them.

I would suggest that this is a setting that you had set before which is no longer set now you have had to reload Autocad.
    Try checking your help and see what options are given for startpoint and endpoint tangent settings.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

NukeCad,
    Thanks, Fortunatly I found out what was going on. The "help" in AutoCAD is a little sketchy some times. I found a couple old ACAD R14 books and I got her bucked out. It boiled down to not enough Right clicks on the mouse when finishing up the spline. Some how I was throwing in a left click ( somewhere in the sequence) by habit form useing another command (that I was useing alot lately) the mouse right, left, right, etc. way too fast mouse clicks by habit. Now that I have realized what was happening. I have started slowing down and concentrating more on the speedy mouse clicks sequence. Sounds lame I know but, at least I figured it out with your help. Thanks again.
    ~Vancam

Yes,

sometimes your fingers get used to doing things in a certain sequence and do it on their own unless you think about it.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

Well, on a positive note, if someone else has this problem. it's posted here and maybe a fix for them too.