Thread: Multiple users on one file

Multiple users on one file

Multiple users permited to edit a file all at once...would be nice...

Now thats what i call dangeruous

Dont we have XREF for this ?
    So we can all draw our own subject in the same layout without anybody changing it.

8) In some case this can be very advantagous.....just needs to monitored very carefully...
    Can be very usefull for 3D work...having multiple users modelling.....

YOWTCH! Holy System Crashes, Batman! :shock:

The mechanics of making this possible boggle the mind...... :roll: ....to say nothing of the ego syndrome..... :x

Reminds me of the old fable about putting a bell on the cat.

Back in the old days... Oh wait, that was 1998

I worked for a public gas utility where we could do this. It was on mofo complicated Oracle database with AutoCAD incorporated into it. We pretty much downloaded a region to work on and then Posted changes to the Master Database when needed, and only the changes were saved to the Database. A few of us would work on a town updating service line data received from field workers, while some of us updated/added town line work from plat documents.

If you're going to set up an Oracle Database, bring you check book and a second mortgage on your home.

And csiarch you're right the whole system was slllllooooowwww as hell.

mom of 3 is offline Technologically illiterrate chatty mommy

my two cents

I would kind of like something like that. I've actually run into that twice here in the last few months. these stupid architects that I've been dealing with on this hellish project (no offense to anyone who may be reading this) would give me changes at the last minute :roll: . ok, so I'm working on that, but the engineer wants this other person to work on this other part for him. sorry, that's in my drawing & I'm in it. I think it's more of a hassle sometimes to do a bunch of work just to make a block out of it & insert it back into the drawing! I'm not going to even go into the other incident, as I'm now in the process of re-doing the other person's work anyway!
    :evil:
    anyway, it makes sense to me for more than one person to be able to work in the same drawing. ok, maybe limit it to only 2 people so that nothing gets overwritten that's not supposed to be. the 2 cases I had, the other 2 people were working in a totally different area than I was, so it would have been a time saver in, well, one case.
    ok, back to looking at all the pretty snow we have........... :wink:

The problem of more than one person working on a drawing gets really complicated.

Murphy the drafter says that it's highly likely that if it were possible, two users would be trying to change the same object at the same time.

Recalling that computers only do exactly what they're instructed to do, who or what makes the decision to accept one user's changes over the other?

What's to prevent one ego from changing the other ego's work -then having the other ego change it back! .....then having the other ego change it back again....then.....get the idea?

I would have added an emoticon to this response but there are none ewhich are appropriate except :roll:

Fantastic Idea eddie.... I agree. This could save a lot more time in the long run..

Gumby

My initial thought - rename AutoCAD 2008 (as will be the next release no doubt)AutoCache 2008.

The drawing would need to constantly have visuals updated, such as with MSN Messenger, etc. This would possibly cause problems when some one zooms or pans, or even swaps working space, ie, model to paper, etc.

Not sure it would be possible to do, let alone safe as regards drawing content. two people could theoretically be editing the same error, giving you two different results!

Many copied objects in drawings, not to mention it running slower than 2006 would run on an old pentium 120 with a hard drive full of p#rn!

Would be nice, but I can't see it happening! Sorry!

The Solution

The Solution is work in Smart Plant, Database environment.