Thread: Calculate area of buildings

Calculate area of buildings

Hello list
    I am new to Autocad. I have some plans of buildings and I would like to calculate their area(m^2). However, I don't have their dimensions; I only have the scale of each plan.
    Any ideas?

One option would be to trace the perimeter of the building using a single continuous polyline. Then use the AREA command. AutoCAD will prompt you to Select first corner point or [Object / Add / Subtract]: Type the letter "O" for the Object option then when prompted next to select objects pick the polylined outline of your building. AutoCAD will display the Area and the Perimeter of the building.

Another option would be to use the Hatch command but it's been a while since I've used the technique so I'd have to refamiliarize myself with the procedure.

I'm sure someone else will tell you how to do it before I return with the answer. If not then I'll post a solution.

Now I remember. Start the Hatch command and use the Add: Pick points option (upper right-hand corner of Hatch and Gradient dialog box). Pick inside the building itself. Press Enter. I'd go with a User defined hatch pattern with an angle of 45 deg and a spacing of 10'. Click the OK button. Your building should now be hatched. Type LI (for List) at the command line. Press Enter. Select the hatch pattern. The AutoCAD Text window should appear onscreen. The area of the building should be listed in the second line up from the bottom just above the line for Origin.

There's probably a third way to get the area but I'm at a loss to come up with it at the moment.

command: DI - is for DISTANCE

Quote Originally Posted by vassilis View Post
    Hello list
    I am new to Autocad. I have some plans of buildings and I would like to calculate their area(m^2). However, I don't have their dimensions; I only have the scale of each plan.
    Any ideas?
    Pick one end of the line representing the interior wall and then pick the other end of the same wall where it joins perpendicular to the adjacent wall. This will give you the distance or length of the wall. Do the same for the wall perpendicular to the first wall. Now that you have the distance of each wall, multiply them by each other to give you the square area of the inside of the building. If you want the total square area then do the above procedure with the outside wall of the building.

Thank you all for your replies.
    But the only data I have is an IMAGE of the building without any information for the dimensions of walls.

You know, it's always a good thing to provide as much information as you possibly can when you post a question. The fact that all you have is an image and not an AutoCAD drawing files DOES make a difference.

You can get the image into AutoCAD using the IMAGEATTACH command. But there is one problem. You need to have at least one dimension between two points in order to proceed any further. I see there is a scale bar on the image. Tell me, what is the scale?

Is a graphical scale bar from zero to twenty meters 0 -20m

I kind of got that impression. Is it 1cm=20m or could it be 1cm=5m? You need to measure one wall so you know how long it is.

Yes you can scale images, but watch out cause it won´t be that accurate.