Thread: Steel Bar Joist Blocks

Steel Bar Joist Blocks

Does anyone know of a free download for a steel bar joist block?

Since bar joists can come in many different sizes can you be a bit more specific?

I'm assuming we are talking a 2D block right?

I'm an Architect and we just need to be able to place a joist that matches what the engineers specify. We need to provide proper clearance for ducts and equipment. I was looking thru Google for bar joist blocks. I found really good ones for REVIT, but I'm still AutoCAD. There was a nice AutoCAD one that did 2D views, had varialbes for the lower cord extensions, for the angle of the seats, for different seat types. It was a $700 program. A bit much for our occasional use. Anyone find any free ones out there?

AutoCAD 2007 I see. Then the block could be a plain old 2D generic one or a fancier Dynamic Block right?

You might try over at the AUGI Forums > AUGI Technical (English) > General Design > AutoCAD > AutoCAD Support > Dynamic Blocks - Sharing. Is that a mouthful or what? Lots of good stuff to be had. Check it out. Maybe you'll find something to suit your needs.

The only other source I can think of is the CAD Block Exchange Network. Normally they ask a user to upload a block for every one they download but I've seen that request circumvented on more than one occasion.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 08-10-2010 at 06:47 PM.

Kyle, yes, it can be a Dynamic Block. I love to create them, but it is time consuming on more complicated items. That $700 dollar program I mentioned above could be cheaper than my spending seveal days trying to create one. Still, I'm not an engineer and only need it for clearances. A Free one would be nice. Read Ya Later -KLYPH

Check out Rick Moore's Architectural - Steel Joist Elevation block at AUGI. It is awesome man!

Thanks for your reply. I went to the AUGI site and searched for both "Rick Moore" and "Architectural - Steel Joist Elevation block", but found nothing that related to what I need. The search did turned up a REVIT Joist Block. Any suggestions on were to look on the site?
    Read Ya Later -KLYPH

Dated: 2007-03-04. I've got a webpage opened to it right now.

This is a link to it. Hope it works. Download Steeljoists.dwg.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=57126

There is a pdf file that goes with the drawing. Scroll down to post #5 after downloading the dwg file itself.

The pdf explains how to use the drawing.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 08-10-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Kyle, thanks for your help. Turns out that one of our younger guys had been making one of his own. It doesn't have the smart feet like Rick's, but it does have many more sizes and types. Keep an eye out for our posting of this Steel Bar Joist Dynamic Block. We'll share it with Rick and all soon. Read Y'all Later -KLYPH