Thread: AutoCAD MEP

AutoCAD MEP

I have been looking over the AutoCAD MEP system, I guess one could say I was "sizing it up." It looks like an architecturally based program, meaning mostly for architectural firms.

We are a mechanically based firm. We engineer, new & existing power plants using mechanical, electrical & structural means.

I didn't see much for electrical, except for elementary floor plans & outlets, lighting plans. Piping was a little more in depth, again all in plan. They make it appear so simple, except I see no measurement constraints. They were just drawing freehand, not with accuracy. Does it figure supports & anchors?

Is it any good for this? I mean, is it a lot of hoopla?
    Currently we use AutoCAD, Cadworx Piping & Equipment & Revit for structural. They are all compatible with each other.

I've looked through all the reviews & there seems to be a lot missing. They make it seem like, draw a line & you're done. Do you have to go through the same intelligence process as Cadworx, for instance? Everything needs a spec, etc....

No one uses this or knows someone that does?

architech Guest
    This is part of the REVIT package, yes?

If it is.... I can only say 3D in production is a headache...
    After being doing 4 different 3D packages... and using them for 4 different separate projects...

DUDE!

2D!
    2D!
    2D!

At least architecturally this has been my experience....

Revit has one, ACAD has one.

I know what you mean about the 2D.

It's my task to ask.....& dig

We do mechanical not architectural. I think an arch program....at least it seems geared that way by the website.