Thread: Best Computer to Run Autocad

Best Computer to Run Autocad

Can you please tell me the best computer, processor, etc. to run the best autocad? Starting a new company and would like to have the best running autocad possible.

Well the best money can buy of course , but since you're starting a new company you probably don't have any. (Trust me, I know)

What type of engineering are you doing? The reason I ask, is if you're not doing very 3D intensive work, you can save some of those precious pennies.

Also, if you are not needing to attract employees anytime soon, you can purchase and older version of Autocad and save hundreds if not thousands of dollars (preferably one that's still supported by Autodesk for the next 6 months). Plus, if you need a "Desktop" suite, count on that doubling the cost of AutoCAD.

Long story short I'm still running the DELL Precision I bought 2.5 years ago. It just fine, but I wish I would have purchased a Gig of Ram and a duel monitor video card. Not that I can't fix that, it's just not that big of an issue.

We do Civil Engineering. We don't do alot of 3D. We're running AutoCAD 2006. You're just looking for better computers to run it on. Thanks for the help.

Key Words: "Open architecture" computers. Stay away from proprietary machines like most Compacs and perhaps some low end Dells (maybe?). Work with a local reseller in your area that's been at the same address for at least five years. Stay out of Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. cheap prices but DUHHHH for support.

If money is an issue, go about two notches down on processor speed and spend the difference for RAM and VRAM (on the video card). You probably won't notice the difference in peformance. Min. 1-2 gigs ram; 512kb VRAM on good video cards.

AMD processors generally are reliable and for the same clocking speed, are generally a bit faster than Intels because they're more efficiently designed.

Look for hard drives with as much RAM cache as possible. This helps with faster retirieval of often-used files and programs. My personal preference is two smaller hard drives instead of one large one. My other preference is to format these drives into logical drives rather than have one gigantic C drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer2005
    We do Civil Engineering. We don't do a lot of 3D. We're running AutoCAD 2006. You're just looking for better computers to run it on. Thanks for the help.
    It's nice to have another Civil around here.

Are you using a Autodesk product for you civil design? The new Autodesk Civil 3D is "supposed" to be the answers to all our designing prayers. It seems to be drastically different than the LDD suite... so if you're trying to run a tight ship with just a few people going through software training might not be a good idea.

I'm wating another year to upgrade so as to avoid any major bugs.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=3566722