Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metric Borders/Title Blocks & Metric Bar Scales

Exactly... scale bar(s). Yes, I used the template A1.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-07-22_15-02-51.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	1292

I would have assumed that it was already set up to use metric units.

Do this. Type the following at the command then press the Enter key:

-DWGUNITS

Yes, you MUST include the dash.

Now look at the command line and tell me what AutoCAD reports back where it reads Unit for length <?>. I'm specifically interested in the number between the < > symbols.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

That's what I would have thought. It is <1>.

Is that because I did not start with the A1 sheet and inserting my drawing into it vs. staring with the cad drawing I exported from the lighting program an inserting the layout from a template. I just opened the file A1 file and it is <3>.

If it says <1> then it is set to use imperial units (decimal inches). Which means you opened the acad.dwt template file instead of acadiso.dwt which is set to use metric units.

The A1 file appears to be the correct one.

Unfortunately I must step away from my desk to go out into the plant for a while. I won't be around to answer any further questions. I'll check this thread some time later today or first thing tomorrow (Saturday) morning. Good luck.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

Thanks so much for all your help. I will check back in next week as this is a side project for me so no rush. Keep in mind that the CAD file I opened is the file I exported from the lighting program. So I did not start a drawing with the acad.dwt template. Should I have started with the acadiso.dwt and then inserted my drawing as a block or started with the A1 file inserting my block? I'd like to know what is preferred so I don't start with any bad habits

The problem you had/have is that you have inserted the metric border as a block into an imperial sheet rather than opening the metric template itself. (so you sheet scales etc. are all imperial from the original drawing).
    Doing this will also mean that the borders become 'nested' blocks and you will have trouble filling in the title attributes.

They are not meant to be inserted in this way, even into a metric sheet, they are stand alone templates used to start a new, metric, drawing.

The usual method of starting with a template in 2015 is to select 'Templates' in the 'Start Drawing' box on the NewTab screen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	1293

(You should have already have unzipped them into a folder and added this new folder to your search paths). (TOOLS>OPTIONS>FILENAMES)

Once you have opened the template in this way you can then start drawing (and copy/paste) things into the modelspace to view it through paperspace viewports on the border.

A bit more awkward with copy and pasting between imperial and metric drawings. (It's just the way Autocad handles 'units').
    One thing to remember is that if you are copy/pasting from an imperial drawing where 1 autocad unit = 1" then whatever you copy/paste will be small in the metric drawing; you will need to enlarge it when pasted into a metric drawing where 1 autocad unit = 1mm.

As 1" = 25.4 mm then you will need to enlarge it by x25.4
    Last edited by NukeCad; 23-07-2016 at 03:12 AM.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

Just wanted to say again that I appreciate y'all's help. I learned quite a bit. A few last questions... I'm not accustomed to these forums but is there a way to capture and or email this thread? Secondly I showed the boss these borders and she asked if there was something more fancy out there. I'm not quite sure what that means since they look fine to me and would serve the purpose well. Does this make sense to you? Since many of our customers often have to present our designs to a township or other governing authority perhaps they are looking for something more dolled-up but again I'm not sure what one can do to pretty up a border. Regards, York

Re: borders.

If your boss wants something "more fancy" then it will have to be designed by either your boss or you. Consider it a challenge and have a go at it. Be careful if you are going to include image files as part of your title block and border as they can slow things down.

As said in the thread where I first posted these templates you can do with them as you like.

If you (or rather your boss) don't like the style of the border on the template then you are free to change it.

The point here is that it's not the lines and text of the border itself that matters, it's the settings for units, text sizes, dimension scales, etc. that matters. (The .dwt's could be blank but would still have all these settings).
    This is why they should not be inserted into an existing drawing but used to start a new metric drawing.

It is the difference between a 'border' that can be inserted anywhere, and a blank sheet that contains all the metric settings.

As Kyle says have a play about to get the style of border that your boss likes (but be careful if including images - they can take a lot of kilobytes which slows down printing and so on).
    Once you have it then 'Save As' a .dwt template for future use.
    Last edited by NukeCad; 24-07-2016 at 06:58 PM.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12