Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metric Borders/Title Blocks & Metric Bar Scales

Metric Borders/Title Blocks & Metric Bar Scales

Hello,

I work for a lighting manufacturer and develop photometric studies using lighting software. The end product is exported to AutoCad. We use CAD only as a vehicle to transfer our design to the customer which is typically an engineering firm. So we are not CAD users so to speak with a limited knowledge.

I am picking up more work from overseas clients and so the units are in metric. I am desperately looking for a drawing template (.dwg) in paper space for the various std. metric sheet sizes including the accompanying range of metric graphic scales. I searched online and have so dark struck out so I am racking out to you. Can you help of point me in the right direction?

It would be nice to have both ANSI and the metric paper sizes. That is one .dwg for each and each having separate layout tabs for the sheet sizes. I'd like all the scales to be defined so I can double click inside the viewport and select a drawing scale.

Much appreciated, York

No problem, I posted a full set of metric templates to download a few years ago.

You can find them here- Metric Templates to Download

They are of course metric paper sizes, I didn't realy see the point in putting metric templates on imperial (ANSI) paper sizes.
    Last edited by NukeCad; 22-07-2016 at 03:25 PM.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

Much appreciated. So after I modify the borders(s) I still have to create a viewport in paper space and select a scale of the view. How does one set the matric scales and where can I acquire the graphic bar scales? Is there a parametric block (if that is the correct term) of a metric bar scale where one can dynamically change the scale?

Do yourself a favor and create a separate layer called VPorts or Viewports and assign it a color other than white. Then set this layer to "no print" in your Layer Properties Manager. While it will be visible onscreen it will not plot/print when the time comes.

Viewport scales can be assigned in three or four different ways. One method is to activate the viewport then look at the bottom of your screen at the Status Bar. The initial viewport scale will show up as a number. Click on the arrow to the right and a list of standard scales should appear on your screen.

Parametric block? No exactly, but there may be a "dynamic" block. We don't utilize scale bars so I would have to check if one comes with AutoCAD but I do know that dynamic scale bars are available at the AUGI website and possibly at the CADforum website.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

If I remember correctly they already have one viewport each on the layer VPORTS, you can add more if you need different scales.

Usually I would set the scale of a viewport by double clicking in it to make it active and then using the ZOOM command with a scale relative to the paperspace.
    eg. Zoom .5 XP
    Of course with AutoCad there is more than one way of doing anything, you can also set a viewports scale through the control panel.

More about scaling and viewports:
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...E373D-htm.html

By 'graphic bar scale' do you mean the ruler line that you sometimes see on drawings?
    I've not used one of those for years.
    It would probably be easy enough to draw your own for different scales and make them into a set of blocks to drop into the paperspace.
    Or you could draw one at full size in modelspace with Annotative Scaling so that it would adjust itself to the paperspace scaling.
    Again see the link above.

I note that you say you are not AutoCad users as such, have any of you had any training?
    If you are getting more CAD work then it may be worth getting a good grounding in the basics of AutoCad.
    It may also be a good idea to look through some online tutorials, maybe set some worktime aside every day/week to learn more.

Here is a link to some tutorials:
    http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/au...?category_id=1
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

Thanks again. I inserted the A1 sheet by clicking on 'Layout From Template'. There was no Vport or Vport layer so I created it on a Vport layer name and set printing to off for that layer. The geometry appeared... cool. However when I went to the status bar the listing of scales is all in inches and feet, i.e. 1"=20' / 5% and not the metric scales I expected. The geometry I have is small and covers only a 5x10m area plus schedules and a few snapshots and has to go on a sheet equal to about D-Size... I suspect A1 is good. Anyway now I'm stuck on the scaling aspect and will need to hunt the dynamic metric bar scales. I'm thinking it will be something like 1:20 or 25 but heck I'm not sure

Setting viewport scale via the ZOOM command would require the user to become familiar with scale factors which is why AutoDesk came up with other methods.

AutoCAD has never had "rulers" It does have snap and grid though. However, I don't think the OP was inquiring about rulers but about a scale bar like one seen on a road map. Example: 1"=1 mile.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

Yes, a physical graphic scale or ruler as seen on so many civil engineer drawings. On the other side of the coin I am still trying show the geometry within the vport at the appropriate scale. I see the 'Custom' selection at the bottom of the list of standard scales. I then clicked on it and then reset then Metric Scales. I selected 1:20 but on the A1 border it became quite tiny. For kicks I clicked on the edit command of that scale and it says 1 paper unit = 20 drawing units. Now I'm really puzzled how it can say that after having reset the Metric Scales. Should it not be 0.02? Oh boy what fun.

Did you actually use one of the metric drawing template files NukeCad provided?

OK...terminology.

AutoCAD does not have a ruler feature nor does it have a ruler command. So there is no need to use that word any more.

I believe what you are looking for is a "scale bar" not a "graphic scale". Example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metric scale bar.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	1291

A link to a website where you'll find a dynamic scale bar (metric and imperial) available for free download. Look for "Dynamic Scale Bar 2015 Dynamic".

http://www.cadforum.cz/catalog_en/?q=dynamic+scale+bar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast