Thread: New to AutoCAD/Haven't done CADwork in awhile. Am lost and would love help

Question New to AutoCAD/Haven't done CADwork in awhile. Am lost and would love help

So i'm fairly new to AutoCAD. I've used Solidworks in the past and really only learned the fundamentals of CAD work. I'm currently trying to design a circular grill grate.
    Something along these lines <http://hw.menardc.com/main/items/media/ONWAR001/ProductLarge/2-91075-Main-Shot.jpg>

I figured I could start by forming a torus and then adding cylindrical parts to it but I can't seem to figure out how to align the parts/conjoin them. The torus/ring only has a center point that I can align parts to. I've tried adding points to the torus but it won't let me?
    Dimension wise
    *Grate diameter is 13.5 inches
    *The cylindrical parts .5 inch diameters

At this point, I've been at a complete loss. I'm not sure if this forum is meant for this kind of help, but no harm in trying. I could really use help, i've been stressing over this for about 5 hours.

You are overthinking the problem. I'd look at using the SWEEP command. All you need is a circle for the path (outer portion of the grill) and a smaller circle to sweep along this path. As for the straight bars you can draw a line and extrude, sweep or presspull a circle along it. Do half the straight bars then use the Mirror command to do the remainder. Done. Should take no more than 5 minutes.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

This took me about six minutes and that's because I stopped to have a cup of coffee. The first image is shown in 2D wireframe visual style. The second, a closeup of the finished product, is shown in Realistic visual style. I used the circle, line, offset, extrim, sweep and mirror commands.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grill_1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	1279

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grill_2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	1280
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

Correction to above post.

I used the array command not offset for the centerline of the bars. Then I trimmed the excess (outside of the grill circle) using the Express Tools EXTRIM command.

hi

You can snap a solid torus just from the center point of it. but you can get many vertices on its surface if you convert that solid torus to a mesh torus .
    If you have some difficulties by converting from solid to mesh!
    It's great Idea to start your drawing with a mesh torus.

To Create a Mesh Torus

1. Click Mesh Modeling tab > Primitives panel >Mesh Torus.
    2. Specify the center of the torus.
    3. Specify the radius or diameter of the overall path that is swept by the torus tube.
    4. Specify the radius or diameter of the tube.

Good Luck

You might want to explain how to proceed after the torus has been created. How are the bars to be added and trimmed to fit?

I understand everything you've suggested! Makes sense. I can't seem to trim the excess parts that fall outside of the circle. The "trim" command won't let me trim the lines from the array. I also don't seem to have the "Extrim" command. Also, once I do get everything trimmed out...I know how the sweep commands work but does the circle that you sweep along the outer grill circle have to be perpendicular to the plane. I don't know if I explained that very well. I really appreciate the help, thank you so much!

It's OK if the path lie on the same plane, you don't need to make it on a perpendicular plane. Actually you need that rule if your are using (Extrude) commend with( path) option.

You posted to the AutoCAD 2016 forum so in fact you should have Express Tools loaded. EXTRIM is one of the many commands available in Express Tools.

BTW...if you used Array for the straight bars you can't trim them until you explode the array. The default setting for Array now groups all objects that are part of the array into a block.

As Hossam has pointed out the circle that is used to form the outer diameter of the grill does not have to be perpendicular to the plane in order for the command to execute properly.

Thread closed due to spamming.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.