Thread: HOW TO CHANGE THE SCALE OF A PART AND HAVE THE DIMENSION NOT CHANGE

HOW TO CHANGE THE SCALE OF A PART AND HAVE THE DIMENSION NOT CHANGE

I wanted to know if there is a way to scale a part and dimension and have the dimensions stay the same without exploding the part?

Hi dgreen,

Please could you explain a bit more what it is you are trying to acheive?

When you say 'part' do you mean a block, or just the lines that make up a component?

Do you mean that you want to magnify the size of something as draw in modelspace but have the dimension read the same value?

Are you using scaled viewports in paperspace? (or is everything drawn in, and plotted from, modelspace?)
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

It sounds like you are doing this entirely in model space. Is that correct?

The better approach would be to utilize a paper space layout and one or more viewports. Viewports act like windows allowing us to see what we created back in model space. It is the viewport that gets a scale assigned to it thus avoiding scaling objects in model space. You could have a layout with a half dozen viewports on it and every single one of them could be assigned a different scale.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

Quote Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
    I wanted to know if there is a way to scale a part and dimension and have the dimensions stay the same without exploding the part?
    Let's say you have a rectangle that is 4 units by 2 units and it is dimensioned. Next you scale it up by a factor of two. What happens is the dimensions change to read 8 units by 2 units. Now what can be done about that? Simple. Without exploding anything you can click on one of the dimensions and override its value in the Properties Palette then do the same for the other. However, I would strongly advise NOT to do that because as mentioned above there is a better approach.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

Everything is drawn in model space and it will plot the way it is drawn. I draw cabinet elevations and sections on the same sheet. We don't use view ports on these drawings. I typically explode the section of the cabinet and then scale it so the dimensions will not change. is there a setting that will let me do it this way without exploding my drawing or using viewports

"Is there a setting?" No there isn't. Next question.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 25-05-2016 at 05:49 PM.

Here's the problem. You scaled both the geometry and the dimensions. Now your only choice is to explode and correct. Had you just scaled the geometry you could use a copy of your company dimension style with a measurement scale factor (on the Primary Units tab) that would take into account the scale of the new detail. So for example if you always scale up by a factor of 2 then the measurement scale factor would be 0.5 thus giving you the exact same dimensions as the original when you add back the dimensions to the detail.

dgreen: Have you managed to come up with a solution?

I think the annotative objects is the right way in this situation;

Annotative objects allow you to create a single annotation object that can represent multiple sizes or scales. Instead of create multiple instances of the annotation object on different layers, you can enable the Annotative property of an annotation object and assign as many drawing scales to the object.

When the drawing scale changes or the annotation is displayed in a viewport on a layout, the correct representation of the annotation is displayed if the drawing scale has been assigned to the object. If the new scale has not been assigned to the annotative object, it will not be displayed or the text will appear unchanged.

Good luck