Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is this symbol/setting?

what is this symbol/setting?

A few new user to AutoCAD 2015 and having trouble figuring out the best settings for my needs. One issue I have seems to be a setting that is related to the little symbol shown in my screen shot. It is circled in red. If I select a line segment and this symbol shows up, the line acts differently than another line segment when this little symbol is not present. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	autocad symbol.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	1256

Do you have Constraints enabled?
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

I think that I do, but not sure where to disable them. Is that in the Constraint Setting dialog box? I was looking at that last week and tried to uncheck everything on the Geometric constraint tab, but it would not let me. Got a message that said at least one geometric constraint must be checked.

On the Ribbon click on the Parametric tab and look on the Manage panel. Find and use the Delete Constraints command. After that make sure you have Infer Constraints disabled. There is an icon for it in your Task Bar that looks just like the little symbol in your first post. You can't miss it.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

Thanks for helping Kyle. By Manage Panel are you referring to the dropdown menu when clicking on Parametric? I see Delete Constraints in that dropdown menu. I did try that and then went to the Constraint symbol in the task bar and tried to uncheck the Infer Constraints button but I still get the message that I need to check at least one.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	constraint error.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	1257

The issue I'm having may or may not even be related to this setting, but it seems that the line segments in my drawing that are creating a problem for me are ones where this constraint symbol shows up. Here is what is an example of what is happening. If I select a point like the one circled here in red and move in the direction of the arrow, the adjoining line also moves and even the line adjoining that one. I should be able to just select the end point of that line and move it independently. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	line segment issue.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	1258

Attach a copy of the drawing to your next post and I'll take a look at it.

You should have been able to delete all the constraints that were applied and disable the creation of any new ones as per my instructions. I tested the procedure myself and it worked.

Those blue boxes are grips.

This is what I was referring to on the Ribbon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DelCon.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	1259

I think my menus/palettes are just set up differently. I did as you said and it still seems to not be working. Although I see that if I hit the shift button(to relax constraints), the grip "lets go". But then the movement is constrained perpendicularly. ugh. I've worked with Adobe products (Illustrator primarily) for 25 years, but just can't seem to wrap my brain around autocad.

I did attach the screen shot of my drawing on my last post, but here it is again. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	line segment issue.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	1260

I asked that you attach a copy of the actual .DWG file. Screenshots won't do me any good.

sorry, I misunderstood, but it doesn't look like I can attach anything besides an image file...jpg, gif or png.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast