Thread: Plotting like a magic marker

Plotting like a magic marker

OK, so I'm an old guy using an old programme on an old computer but it should still work OK.

My gas powered PC is linked to a fairly new Brother inkjet and when I used it to plot drawings a while ago it all worked fine.
    Now when I ask it to plot it gives a plot preview like I had drawn the lines with a thick marker pen and prints exactly the same.
    I'm not aware that I've changed anything but, given my age, I might not remember or have realised that I have changes something.
    All help appreciated.
    Jim

AutoCAD 2000 I see. OK. Did you assign lineweights to your layers?
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

I think it's probably 'plot with lineweights' in the plot dialogue that has been ticked.
    Check that and try unticking it.

Just to check are you plotting with a CTB or a STB?
    They handle plotted line thickness differently.

I have 2000i on an old machine, I'll fire it up later and check the plot options.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

OK to replicate what you are describing I fired up Acad 2000i and drew some lines with specific lineweights. (rather than 'bylayer' which is what I normaly do).

In the Plot Dialogue box,
    on the 'Plot Device' tab I set the 'Plot Style Table (pen assignments)' to 'None'
    Switched to the 'Plot Settings' tab.
    ticked the 'Plot Object Lineweights' box.

The prievew and plot showed the thick lineweights I had assigned to the lines.

unticked the 'Plot Object Lineweights' box.

Preview and plot gave thin lines.

Each to his own, but I don't know of anyone who uses actual lineweights in this way anymore.
    It is more usual to set lineweight to bylayer, and assign a colour to each layer and draw your lines on a particular layer.
    You then use a CTB plot style table which assigns each colour a plotted thickness.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

Smile

Thank you both, sorry for delay in answering but I had to make an unscheduled trip to see mum (drove up the M6 past the lake district - I previously spent 12 years living in Keswick), she's 92 and needed me there.

You are of course both correct, I cancelled the line weight and it plots perfectly.

I was also correct in that I had no idea I'd done it, although I do remember mucking about with settings to see what happened and it seems that adding lineweight makes no difference to the screen drawing but obviously has a dramatic affect on printout.

I'm a rank amateur with autocad but am trying to do my own drawings for planning and building regs for my house extension.

Thanks again, much appreciated, Jim

REMEMBER - A day in which we have learned nothing is a wasted day.

....it seems that adding lineweight makes no difference to the screen drawing...
    Ah; but try clicking on the little button labled "LWT" at the bottom of your screen.
    Turns screen display of lineweights on and off.
    Last edited by NukeCad; 20-05-2015 at 11:43 AM.