Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot open drawing I have done a ton of work on.

Cannot open drawing I have done a ton of work on.

I am using desktop 3.3 which I believe is autocad 2002. I had an app crash then autocad asked to save the dwg for recovery, which I did. Now I have the dwg that crashed and the .recover dwg. When I try to open the recover dwg, it goes through the recovery process, gets to the end and crashes with the following message:
    Fatal Error: Unhandled Access violation writing 0x1d85e000 (or 0x1d8de000) Exception at 64931564h.
    The original dwg will not open as well and says it has 10 errors.

I was not even working on this dwg when the original crash happened. However this dwg was open when the crash happened. The other dwgs that were opened all recovered fine.

If there is anyone that could help me open this dwg, I would be very grateful because I have a deadline to get this project done tomorrow and this is a major dwg in the set.

One other thing, there is another dwg "plot this" that I use to plot all the dwgs in the set from. Everything is xrefed to the "plot this" dwg. I cannot open this dwg now I am assuming because the other dwg with the problem is referenced to this dwg..

Thanks

Is there a .BAK file for the drawing you cannot open?

Have you tried inserting the drawing that won't open into a new drawing?
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

Thanks for replying.
    I tried using the .bak file from the original file and am getting the same message:
    WARNING: 105 errors were found during open. We recommend that you cancel this open and run RECOVER on the drawing. Would you like to cancel this open? Either option I chose brings up the this same message:
    Unable to load this drawing file because it contains incorrect or corrupted information.
    The technical problem detected is:

The "recover damaged drawing" selection may be used to restore undamaged material from the file.

On your second question: How can I insert the drawing that wont open into a new drawing? Do you mean put it in a separate file folder?

You insert it just as you would any drawing via the INSERT command.

Don't you back up your drawing files to a server, CD/DVD or flash drive?
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

I tried putting the original dwg (elev.dwg) with issues into a separate folder and opening and the same thing happens with this message coming up:
    FATAL ERROR: Unhandled access violation writing 0xc1ce000 Exception at 64931564h

The first digits are slightly different and the exception digits remain the same.

On a positive note: I put the second file (plot_this.dwg), the one I have everything x-ref'd to and plot everything from, into a separate folder and it opens ok. So I am assuming it was crashing because of the link to elev.dwg.

I did not tell you to put the drawing in a separate folder.

Open a NEW AutoCAD drawing. Stop.

Invoke the INSERT command. Stop.

Browse to the folder where the corrupted drawing is located and click on it. AutoCAD will attempt to bring that drawing into the new drawing just as though it were a block. Stop.

What happens?

I have 3 external hard drives that I periodically back everything up on. I had not backed up for about a week and a half. I have never had an issue like this before.

For the INSERT command, I am assuming I open a dwg and try to insert into that dwg like a block? Here is the command dialog:
    Command: _insert
    Nested Xref "1st" converted to standard Block.
    Nested Xref "2nd" converted to standard Block.
    Nested Xref "Attic" converted to standard Block.
    Nested Xref "Fnd" converted to standard Block.
    *Invalid*

Then nothing gets inserted

I wasn't talking about the corrupted drawing with the xrefs in it. The OTHER corrupted drawing.

Don't tell me that both drawings utilized xrefs did they?

The only drawing that remains corrupted is "elev.dwg" the other drawing "plot_this" opens if I put it into a separate folder away from the corrupted drawing.

elev.dwg is a drawing with a elevations among other things. There are a bunch of floor plans xrefed into elev.dwg. so to answer your question, yes this drawing does utilize xrefs.

I guess you'll have to recreate that drawing then since it appears you can't open it and it can't be recovered.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast