Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot open drawing I have done a ton of work on.

Wow - this is a nightmare. There is no other option?

Not that I can think of. The only files worth playing with are .dwg, .bak and .sv$.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

Click on the link below. Do a screen capture then print it out and hang it on the wall next to your computer.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppor...ave-files.html
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

I just read this and found that I have my autocad files being saved as .sv$ files in a separate folder. Just my luck, I did a ccleaner deletion of all the temp files and a reboot when I was trying to figure out why I couldn't open the autocad drawing file. Do you know if there is any way to recover the deleted files? I looked at system restore, however It does not seem that would help with this situation. Am I correct about this?

System Restore will not be of any use to you because it deals with the Windows Registry not with things like drawing files.

Yes, there are ways supposedly deleted files can be resurrected. When you delete a file your OS marks the physical space on your hard drive as being "available" so in theory unless new data has been written to your hard disk there is a slight chance you could undelete the file.

Do you know what the procedure is to undelete a file? Would that be something to be done by a PC professional or with any special equipment?

I just tried to recover the drawing again and the strange thing is, it says there are "86980 valid objects and 0 invalid objects. salvaged database from drawing."

then it hangs up for a second, then crashes. So it looks like the drawing is being recovered and salvaged, but then crashes.

It's been several years since I last "undeleted" a file and I did it from a command prompt using a small undelete program I got from the makers of Norton Utilities as I used to run their antivirus program. I have no idea what is currently available. The only thing required is the right program and some luck. Why luck? Because if you have written any data to your hard drive since the file was deleted there is a chance the space on the hard drive where the data was stored has been written over which means it would be near impossible to retrieve the complete file.

Does CCleaner send the deleted files to the Windows Recycle Bin?

Do an Internet search on this: "recover a deleted file" and see what comes up. Maybe you'll get lucky.

one of the functions on the the ccleaner checklist is to clear out the recycle bin to free up space. apparently it just permanently deletes a whole list of (worthless) files that fill up your system. In my present case (valuable) files.

I will take a look at my webroot software and see if it has any recovery capabilities.

I appreciate all your help with this issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast