Thread: Multiple users editing single file simultaneously

Multiple users editing single file simultaneously

Hello everyone.

What is the latest and greatest hardware solution that allows multiple drafters to access and edit the same AutoCAD file simultaneously?

Attached is our scenario regarding various operating systems and software.
    Most everyone works from a remote location and the files are stored in DropBox.

Thank you!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Not going to happen using AutoCAD. Multiple users will be able to access the drawing but only the first person who opened it will have the ability to edit it then save it under the original file name. Everyone else gets to see the drawing in "read only" format. If someone decides to edit it then they would have to save the file under a new name.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

Back in 2010 AutoDesk had something called Project Butterfly, a secure web application that allowed multiple AutoCAD users to simultaneously edit, annotate, and review DWG files online in real-time (Cloud based collaboration), but I don't know if it was ever fully implemented.

Are you making use of Xrefs?

What types of drawings are these?
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 05-01-2015 at 03:28 PM.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

Any solution would be software based not hardware based.

Possible solution outlined here....http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/c...te-pcs-tip8566

I couldn't open your attachment on this laptop so am not sure just what you are looking for.

"Autocad 360" is able to let multiple users view and mark up and edit drawings at the same time, after a fashion. It is cloud based and so can be used on any PC, tablet, or even smartphone. You don't even need to have Autocad to use it.
    (It used to be called AutocadWS and I believe it grew out of Project Butterfly)?

The idea is that someone on site with a laptop or tablet can collaborate on drawings with the designer back at the office in real time.

Autocad 360 is limited in what it can do though in terms of editing drawings and may not be what you need, and I believe it is still only for use with 2D drawings.
    I am not sure if you get extra functionality if you also have full Autocad on your device.

Its free to sign up if you want to give it a try and see if its for you.
    https://www.autocad360.com/

EDIT
    I see that the link that Kyle gave is for a demo of Autocad 360 drawing sharing in use.
    Last edited by NukeCad; 05-01-2015 at 11:14 PM.
    Im intelligent enough to know that I dont know everything; but I'll tell you all about it anyway.