Thread: Attaching space plan to a ceiling plan

Attaching space plan to a ceiling plan

Hello,

I am Design student and feverishly working on my final project before the end of the semester. My professor assigned a Daycare center zip file she created in Revit for us to use for our project. That is she designed the entire building etc. and then we the students simply designed the interior. The purpose was for us to learn how to use multiple files within one project which she claims is quite common out in the working world.

The problem that I am having is that after I designed my interior within the space plan, I attached it to the ceiling plan (per her instructions) in order to accurately place lighting, electrical, and spotlights. However my furniture and walls are not showing up after attaching the file. Which means unless I know where they are I can't do much else.

Unfortunately, I have a really bad teacher that has whisked us through a world wind of a semester with little to no instructions and half the time we don't know why we are doing what we are doing. Which translates to: we have little to no foundation in which to do our own problem solving because we don't know how things work in relation to one another in this program.

If anyone could help me I would be indebted to you forever. I am pretty desperate and have spent the better part of the last day and half trolling the interwebs for videos, links, and so forth on the topic and have come up emtpy. (which may or may not include flipping through every autocad book I can find on the dark net)

HELP!!!

First of all you need to clarify exactly what program you are working in as you mention Revit but posted in the AutoCAD 2014 forum. Revit and AutoCAD are entirely different programs.

If you are using Revit then the best place to get help would be the AutoDesk Discussion Groups > Revit forum. I'm assuming you would want the Revit Architecture forum. Start with this link...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit/ct-p/2003
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 23-11-2014 at 08:41 PM.
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

It's AutoCad 2014. Which is why I posted it here..

Did you check to see if all the layers were on after they exported the model??

Sometimes they will have to export it again.
    Revit does NOT play as well with AutoCAD as Revit people would have you believe..

How exactly did you attach one drawing to the other? Did you do this as an xref?
    I'm Reese. Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416. Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

The first time I tried this I went into the ceiling plan and attached the space plan to it by opening the ceiling plan and trying to attach the space plan through x-ref. The plan itself (the outline she created in revit because she doesn't know how to use Autocad herself) attached to the ceiling plan but none of the furniture or walls were visible. After some hemming and hauling from my professor today, she divulges that I am supposed to drag and drop the space plan into the ceiling plan within project browser not attach it the way I have been trying to. So I tried that and all I get is a red circle with a red dash through it when I hover of the ceiling plan. The space plan (for whatever reason) will not drop into the ceiling plan. Like I said I don't have a very good professor and she doesn't know how to fix it either.

That's ridiculous....
    I work between Structural Dept who uses Revit & us ACAD....
    we have no problem, except for the layer issue....
    and everything being either, yellow, cyan or magenta...

Divine: There has to be videos and/or tutorials about exporting a Revit drawing to AutoCAD. Have you, or your instructor, tried looking? A simple search on "revit to autocad" is where I would start.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Export Revit.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	1209
    Came across this in a search. Unfortunately our workplace blocks the viewing of YouTube videos so I can't tell you how good/bad the advice might be.