PDA

View Full Version : command window missing..help!

medici
07-09-2005, 08:33 PM
The command window/ text prompt at the bottom of the screen that displays all entries is not visable, is there a way to restore it?

Eddie
07-09-2005, 09:38 PM
You must have dragged it off screen, try changing your screen resolution.

shelly
25-10-2005, 03:43 PM
I have the same problem!! How do you change resolution and what does that mean. sorry to ask another question

CarLB
25-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Right click on the Windows Desktop, click 'Properties', 'Settings', access "Screen Resolution"

Dave22fair
05-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Hi,
I have ACAD2000 and find I have somehow lost my text window. F2 brings it back as a floating window but I can't drag it into the bottom menu bar. I have altered my screen res in case I dragged it off the screen but no luck. I have tried going directly into View>Display>Text Window and also in Tools>Options and specifiying say 3 lines in the text window but neither forces the menu text window to appear.
Any suggestions please.
Ta, Dave

Exxit
05-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Hi,

maybe it's behind the taskbar...

Lothar

Kyle Reese
05-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Did you maybe lose your Command line?

Dave22fair
05-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks,
Can you both elaborate on

"Did you maybe lose your Command line? "

How would I get it back?

and

"maybe it's behind the taskbar..."

How do I get it in front?

Thanks
Dave

tinsmith
05-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Type:
COMMANDLINE

Dave22fair
06-04-2011, 07:06 AM
Thanks.
I press F2 to open up the floating command window (that cannot be docked) and then type COMMANDLINE
and get the response

Unknown Command:COMMANDLINE Press F1 for help

Any more suggestions gratefully received

Dave

Kyle Reese
06-04-2011, 09:59 AM
The Text window (F2) you keep referring to is not set up to be docked. It never had that feature as far as I remember.
It can be minimized, maximized and you can even hide it but docking is not an option.

Kyle Reese
06-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Try this advice which comes straight from your AutoCAD Help file.

To display the command line when it's hidden, click the Tools menu Command Line (or press CTRL+9).

Dave22fair
06-04-2011, 12:04 PM
CTRL +1, CTRL +2 and CTRL +6 are the only CTRL+number that work, CTRL+9 has no effect

Kyle Reese
06-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Did you try going through the Tools menu?

Dave22fair
06-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Thanks
I cannot see Command Line option on the Tools menu

Kyle Reese
06-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Thanks
I cannot see Command Line option on the Tools menu
If it were there it would be right at the top of the drop-down menu.

How did you manage to lose the command line in the first place?

Tinsmith's suggestion should have worked (in my opinion) unless you undefined the COMMANDLINE command somehow. But I think you would have remembered had you done so. Were you editing any of the menu files? Example: acad.mns

Kyle Reese
06-04-2011, 05:29 PM
One last place you can check (I've forgotten so much about 2000 it is pitiful): Tools > Options > Display. Is there somewhere on the tab where the user can change the number of lines displayed in the command line?

Ctrl+9 can be used to toggle the command line on and off. Normally when it is on and you use Ctrl+9 you'll get a warning that AutoCAD is about to hide the command line. However, warnings can be permanently disabled so what you may have done is accidently toggled it off and not know it.

Dave22fair
06-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Yes, Tools>Options>Display gives an option to set lines in command line window. Currently at the default of 3. I have tried values up to maximum of 100 with no effect on the absence of a command line window

Kyle Reese
06-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Then it sounds like it is there but when you undocked it you must have put it way out in left field somewhere so you can't see it even though it may be on.

Dave22fair
06-04-2011, 09:37 PM
That sounds feasible. I have a working version with the text window present, docked and behaving correctly on the laptop my wife uses. What is the file I can copy across and overwrite (after backing up the existing) to restore the text window?

Kyle Reese
06-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Let's get our terminology straight.

When I refer to a Text window I mean the one that pops up when the F2 key is pushed.

The three lines at the bottom of my screen (and where the word Command: appears), just above the Task bar, is commonly referred to as the Command line.

Are we on the same page here?

You might just have to use the REPAIR option which in your version of AutoCAD might be on the original installation CD although it might (keep fingers crossed) be found in the Windows Control Panel under Add/Remove Programs and specifically list under your version of AutoCAD. The oldest version of AutoCAD I currently have running is 2004. I took 2000 off my system over a year ago when I added 2010.

It's amazing how many people are still using 2000, 2000i, 2002, as well as a handful using release 14. I even know of one person still using the DOS version of release 12. Really guys, that's pushing it a bit too far for me.

Dave22fair
07-04-2011, 12:13 AM
I'm grateful that someone has the interest in the older versions, thanks; I have no commercial need to upgrade and up until now, have not had any real problem. I am talking about not having the three or more lines at the bottom of the screen, where 'Command' appears. I have tried REPAIR in ACAD but it is not recognised and in Control Panel, Repair is not an option, only uninstall. I did wonder about copying a file from the working ACAD on my wife's laptop; what is the name of the file that defines the status/existence of the Command Line?
Thanks
Dave

Kyle Reese
07-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Have you tried minimizing AutoCAD to see if the undocked command line might be hiding behind the AutoCAD screen?

The REPAIR option is not an internal AutoCAD command. It can only be found in your Windows Add/Remove Programs section of the Control Panel or on the installation CD. Did you try the CD?

There is no file that I am aware of that defines the status/existence of the command line per se. I vaguely recall that at one time there was an acad.cfg file but I do not recall, at this time, what information it retained. Sorry.

By the way, what operating system are you running and what version of it?

Kyle Reese
07-04-2011, 12:26 PM
There were only two service packs ever issued for AutoCAD 2000. Did you download and install either or both of them by any chance?

Dave22fair
07-04-2011, 03:42 PM
I have tried minimising but still no success, OS on this machine is W98SE but my wife runs Vista, both seem to support ACAD2000 nicely and no, I have neither ACAD2000 service packs. Its odd that the other machine is quite fine with the command line and it is frustrating not knowing what the attribute file is that defines this 'healthy' status.

NukeCad
07-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Dave,
Try looking here- http://www.cadeverything.com/help/showthread.php/3345-my-command-line-window-has-disappeared?highlight=unknown

Kyle Reese
07-04-2011, 04:29 PM
The last idea I can come up with. Go to Tools > Options > Profiles and click on the Reset button.

I'm all tapped out.

Good luck.